Green warning light LIM-adjustable speed limiter

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

Twice over the last days after around 5 minutes driving at varied speeds from cold, this warning light has come on accompanied by the inability to accelerate over 20mph. On both occasions I was changing up gears( 2nd to 3rd). I safely stopped vehicle, turned ignition off-then restarted engine--LIM light has gone out and all was well for the rest of the day and at all speeds
Have looked in handbook and there's plenty about pressing the speed limiter switch to turn system on/off. I accept that this switch must have been misapplied( but I don't know what the switch looks like even-or even where to find it).
Is this a fault or has something been misapplied ?
What should I check please ...all help and comments gratefully received
CX-3 SPORT NAV ,5 DOOR HATCHBACK,1998CC,PETROL-2018

Deleted User 1096

Post by Deleted User 1096 »

The speed limiter and controls are on the right side of the steering wheel - it is possible (may be) to set them on\ off if one is lazy steering - I often do this with the phone connect settings on the other side of the wheel..

..by turning the ignition on and off you are resetting the limiter as discussed in a earlier post this is the default with Mazdas..

mazda steer.jpg

Last edited by Deleted User 1096 on Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 1511

Post by Deleted User 1511 »

Quite frankly it is disturbing you don’t appear to understand the controls on your car.

Surely the manually has a picture of the cruise control / speed limit rocker switch which is on the right hand spoke of the steering wheel.
Deleted User 1096

CX3fan wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:53 pm Quite frankly it is disturbing you don’t appear to understand the controls on your car.

Surely the manually has a picture of the cruise control / speed limit rocker switch which is on the right hand spoke of the steering wheel.
I sympathise with anyone not reading the manual it is a waste of space other than I have copied the page of the warning lights and their meaning which I keep in the glove box (used many times) - when I bought mine second hand from a non-franchised dealer, I was not given nor expected any extra help.. the manual kept repeating "only if this is fitted to your model" (or such). I had never owned or driven a Mazda before so was unfamiliar with them, I got no joy from the franchiser (ashford orbital) nor Mazda customer service as to what my car was or had fitted.. it is by reading and interacting with these pages that I have learnt more about the car.. as in I have an extras pack but not all of it..
Last edited by Deleted User 1096 on Mon Feb 03, 2020 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deleted User 1511

Witfit wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:50 pm
CX3fan wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:53 pm Quite frankly it is disturbing you don’t appear to understand the controls on your car.

I sympathise with anyone not reading the manual it is a waste of space other than I have copied the page of the warning lights and there meaning which I keep in the glove box (used many times) - when I bought mine second hand from a non-franchised dealer, I was not given nor expected any extra help.. the manual kept repeating "only if this is fitted to your model" (or such). I had never owned or driven a Mazda before so was unfamiliar with them, I got no joy from the franchiser (ashford orbital) nor Mazda customer service as to what my car was or had fitted.. it is by reading and interacting with these pages that I have learnt more about the car.. as in I have an extras pack but not all of it..
That is a fair comment but I understand the cruise control / speed limit is fitted to all models.

It is quite easy to compare the picture of the steering wheel in the manual to that fitted to the car and spot the big switches on the wheel, same working out how to turn the lights on or operate the parking brake.

A few minutes invested in reading the manual could save a life
Deleted User 1096

CX3fan wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:19 pm
Witfit wrote: Sun Feb 02, 2020 3:50 pm

I sympathise with anyone not reading the manual it is a waste of space other than I have copied the page of the warning lights and there meaning which I keep in the glove box (used many times) - when I bought mine second hand from a non-franchised dealer, I was not given nor expected any extra help.. the manual kept repeating "only if this is fitted to your model" (or such). I had never owned or driven a Mazda before so was unfamiliar with them, I got no joy from the franchiser (ashford orbital) nor Mazda customer service as to what my car was or had fitted.. it is by reading and interacting with these pages that I have learnt more about the car.. as in I have an extras pack but not all of it..
That is a fair comment but I understand the cruise control / speed limit is fitted to all models.

It is quite easy to compare the picture of the steering wheel in the manual to that fitted to the car and spot the big switches on the wheel, same working out how to turn the lights on or operate the parking brake.

A few minutes invested in reading the manual could save a life

.. models of what - my last car did not have such - it was not a Mazda - if you read my reply and maybe this chap also has not owned a Mazda before..
Deleted User 1511

Clearly given the nature and focus of this forum, I am referring to all models of the CX3 - as covered by the handbook. I though t would be obvious!

I appreciate some features referenced in the handbook might not be fitted to a UK model or a particular level of trim (in the UK) but the switches on the steering wheel are rather obvious....
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

I have now checked carefully whether the speed control was on or off--and it was OFF and the vehicle behaved normally this morning-no green LIM warning light .
Thanks for replies so far
1) re my manual-My steering wheel has the word MODE on the right in the speed control options area-otherwise it is like the photo above-thanks...
2) I accept that turning off ignition only resets the Limiter-however--if you read my original post--why then did the LIM warning light not come on again EACH TIME I began a new journey? It didn't.
3) I do accept that the ON/OFF steering wheel toggle switch might have accidentally been applied-but since neither my wife nor I de-applied it-I am still suspicious the LIM green warning may well appear again.

From anyone else's experience-are there any other conditions that might activate the LIM warning light and speed restriction behaviours as described in my original post?

Thanks
Deleted User 1511

The system is completely reset to off every time the ignition is switched off - so the lights should not illuminate next time you restart

EDIT - I have since discovered this is wrong and the system will restart (in orange) it was on when the engine was switched off

If the "warning" sign is orange the system is on but not active - no speed limit is set (ie you ca still travel at any speed)
If the "warning" sign is green the system is on AND a speed limit is set (ie the car is limited to the speed set (and which is displayed on the dash))

I would imagine on the later models, like yours, the "mode" switch toggles between the "cruise control" and "speed limit" functions

Do you have additional buttons below the right hand spoke on the wheel?
Last edited by Deleted User 1511 on Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

Dear CXfan
re additional steering wheel buttons on the right of the wheel-the top double toggle is Mode with OFF/CAN directly below.Directly to the right of the previous is another double toggle with RES/+ on top and SET/- below ....?
When steering-It's very easy to let a thumb (or finger) stray on to this right hand toggle giving RES/+ or SET/- an inadvertent press!?