UPDATING MAPS WITH MAZDA TOOLBOX

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
TAX

Post by TAX »

I had my 3rd service yesterday and I asked the dealer to update the navigation to the latest maps, they said I have to do that myself using the Mazda Toolbox programme.

I have downloaded the Toolbox programme onto my laptop and am now ready to roll, but I am not great with computers and don't want to screw this up so I have some questions. I assume there will be clear instructions once Toolbox has recognised the SD card.

1. Is the update free if done before the 3 year Mazda warranty expires, mine expires at the end of the month.

2. When the SD card is inserted into my laptop will it be automatically backed up by Toolbox before the update, in case of any errors or an incomplete update.

3. Are there any procedures I need to do before removing the SD card from the car, e.g. turning on the sat nav, turning the ignition on or off. Likewise when returning the SD card to its slot in the car.

4. Any thing else I need to know !

Thanks in advance for any advice and help.
SEPT 2017
CX3GT AUTO PETROL. CERAMIC METALLIC. 39 MPG
YORKSHIRE.

BWJ

Post by BWJ »

TAX wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 12:16 pm I had my 3rd service yesterday and I asked the dealer to update the navigation to the latest maps, they said I have to do that myself using the Mazda Toolbox programme.

I have downloaded the Toolbox programme onto my laptop and am now ready to roll, but I am not great with computers and don't want to screw this up so I have some questions. I assume there will be clear instructions once Toolbox has recognised the SD card.

1. Is the update free if done before the 3 year Mazda warranty expires, mine expires at the end of the month.

2. When the SD card is inserted into my laptop will it be automatically backed up by Toolbox before the update, in case of any errors or an incomplete update.

3. Are there any procedures I need to do before removing the SD card from the car, e.g. turning on the sat nav, turning the ignition on or off. Likewise when returning the SD card to its slot in the car.

4. Any thing else I need to know !

Thanks in advance for any advice and help.
1. Yes, but hurry up.
2. Toolbox will ask you to backup, say "yes" and Toolbox do the job.
3. When remove/insert card ALWAYS with ignition off.
Toolbox is very easy and straight ahead, - enjoy
CX3 2.0, Aut. Nav. Optimum SRC. dec. 2019.
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

2. Further to BWJ comment, please note the backup takes a mere second or two, so it can only be recording some marker - can't think of a better word - of your card reference onto their server. It is not your usual hours of backup time.

4. The total download and subsequent install time stages can be measured in hours sometimes, it just depends on your broadband speed and presumably how heavily their server(s) are being used. The total file sizes added up to around 7.5GB when I last did mine over a year ago so you'll need this much free space on your laptop. Note the downloaded files are first saved on your laptop and are not removed when the install onto the SD card is successful. So if the laptop's SDD / HDD drive free space after a successful SD card install is very limited you may want to consider deleting the files in the folder C:\Users\{Username}\AppData\Roaming\Mazda\download_cache NB: This is just my view and is not something I've had confirmed by Mazda
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
TAX

Post by TAX »

Thanks BWJ and st3v3cx3 for your replies, I successfully downloaded and installed the updated maps this morning, it took about an hour or so and was, as you said, a pretty straightforward procedure.
SEPT 2017
YORKSHIRE.
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

Well done. It does seem to take an age and makes you wonder if it is going to fully install. Once your 3 year period is up - since the card was first installed in the car and had done 60 miles or so - then you'll have to pay Mazda for further updates. Personally - at the high price they charge and the vagueness of how many updates could be included if extending for more than a year - I didn't bother.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
TAX

Post by TAX »

No, I wont bother either. At the moment I am debating whether to take out the Mazda extended warranty, and at around £1 per day it seems like good value.
SEPT 2017
YORKSHIRE.