rust on underbody

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
fourbanks

Post by fourbanks »

ghcx3 wrote: Thu Sep 03, 2020 5:02 am I am hoping for a view on the pictures attached.

This does appear to be an unacceptable level of rust.

Car registered March 2018 and has less than 7000 miles. Car is parked in driveway as a rule and not exposed to salty conditions.

I am contacting Mazda about this as well but wondered on others opinions and experience.

Thank you
the legal view is that the car is under warranty and all work will be undertaken by Mazda. judging from those photos a new car may well be in order. should you need any further advice then tune in to the 9 pm legal hour on LBC every Saturday and Sunday. both daniel Barnett and Dean Dunham are QC. I've been listening to them for many years and am well up myself on consumer law
Lexus 250h UX premium sport edition

lhcmazda

Post by lhcmazda »

To ghcx3 did you get any satisfaction from Mazda regarding the rust issue on your car I'm sure many owners would be interested to know, as I'm sure other Mazda car underbodies could well be in a similar or worse condition. Please let us know.
2018 CX-3 Machine Grey 2.0 Petrol 150ps Auto Sports Nav AWD plus Safety Pack
ghcx3

Post by ghcx3 »

Thanks for all replies
Still awaiting update
CX3 GT Sport Metallic grey 2018 model
ghcx3

Post by ghcx3 »

Update

Went back to the Mazda garage for inspection and query to Mazda. Answer as below

Mazda - "The corrosion isn't bad, yes it is present and the underside of any vehicle will do very similar. Obviously where the car lives and is parked can also make some worse than others, ie parked on grass, so damp over night etc etc. The corrosion warranty is for exterior body panels only. What is shown in the photos isn't an issue as far as we are concerned, normal condition.

HI xxxxxxxx looking at this post code area it would not appear to be location causing this it would appear possible environmental conditions/ out side factors this is not a structural concern and is as i stated earlier low level surface corrosion as you will see on any vehicle of this age best regards."

Garage - "Mazda UK have advised that this is low level surface corrosion caused by external factors and not a manufacturing defect. Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions. "

Trusted independent mechanic 30 years experience - "I know corrosion when I see it, he flicked over the front end in a couple of seconds and got his driver/passenger sides mixed up at the rear. Very flippant in my opinion apparently corrosion is absolutely acceptable on a two year old car. What will it look like in four years time. I’d contact them and make it clear that you don’t consider this level of corrosion is acceptable on a premium car. His explanation for corrosion was and I quote “water on the road” what about virtually no paint or decent anti corrosion on the suspension components."

I leave you to form your own opinions

Best wishes to all
CX3 GT Sport Metallic grey 2018 model
fourbanks

Post by fourbanks »

that's a typical car manufacturing statement. Japanese cars are well known for early rust' 7 years is the best I've been able to get out of them over the past 45 years before mot failure with rust
Lexus 250h UX premium sport edition