acorn ding

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
fourbanks

Post by fourbanks »

lhcmazda wrote: Fri Oct 16, 2020 8:34 pm Whilst driving yesterday had a big bang on the roof of the car whilst I drove under some trees, I stopped to have a look and was very dissapointed to find a dent in the roof of my car. I managed to remove it by using a MINI DENT PULLER SUCTION CUP FOR BODYWORK PANEL REMOVAL TOOL CAR & VAN, I purchased it from eBay seller, it took quite a few pulls to remove the dent from the roof of the car, and I can confirm that Mazda Roofs are nothing like as strong as any of my previouse car roofs. I have never experienced dents on the roofs of me previous cars due to falling conkers etc, and I have had heard them hit the roof. The doors are a similar problem which will no doubt start to show dents from other cars doors being opened and hitting my car. Yes as prviously mentioned Mazda have reduced the thickness of the steel certainly on the roofs of the CX-3, and the door skins also appear to be easily deflected by even slight pressure to the outer skins. I wonder whether the same problem occours with other makes of new cars regarding the strength or lack of strength of the body panels. Would be interesting to here from other car makes owners.
my dent is too small I think and with the roof metal so thin would think it would be impossible to remove it. most new cars today have some type of dent in them what with the weather being so unpredictable. the only time its an issue is when you come to part exchange the car or sell it and if anyone cares?
Lexus 250h UX premium sport edition

HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

Isn't the thinner gauge metal all part of the Skyactiv design philosophy?-
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
Beezageoff

Post by Beezageoff »

:?: Just a thought, but what steel are modern cars made out of? I read somewhere , that China produces a lot of steel. It certainly wouldn't be British steel, as most of the steel mills, if not all, are now closed!!
CX3 30/10/2018 Sat Nav+ 2litre Petrol Manual
Boyle de Cabbage

Post by Boyle de Cabbage »

HouseSpider wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:32 am Isn't the thinner gauge metal all part of the Skyactiv design philosophy?-
Exactly! What is the purpose of carrying around a tonne of steel you don't need? The engineering answer to dints is to add strength by corrugating the top in the manner of the old 2CV from Citroen. But clearly the car designers were concerned for its appearance: and quite rightly so.
Beezageoff wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:46 pm :?: Just a thought, but what steel are modern cars made out of? I read somewhere , that China produces a lot of steel. It certainly wouldn't be British steel, as most of the steel mills, if not all, are now closed!!
Steel production declined from the 70s as a direct result of the Thatcher government deciding to make the UK a service economy. UK Manufacturing was above 25% of GDP in 1975; in the 60s it was higher, but and it declined rapidly so now we buy almost everything from China and the far east.

Mazda cars, being Japanese made, wouldn't be buying 'British' steel, now, would they? And as I recall, Japanese steel is up there with the best. But 'steel' isn't a single product. There are grades of steel, and modern production allows for the exact selection of the steel's composition. The dinting reported is more likely a consequence of the gauge of steel rather than its composition.

Our Mazda cars reflects design choices - cost vs weight vs looks vs performance. On the whole I think Mazda do a very good job. I just wish the dealers were not so crap!
Mazda paint is crap! Mazda should be ashamed of themselves!.
fourbanks

Post by fourbanks »

Boyle de Cabbage wrote: Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:25 am
HouseSpider wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 5:32 am Isn't the thinner gauge metal all part of the Skyactiv design philosophy?-
Exactly! What is the purpose of carrying around a tonne of steel you don't need? The engineering answer to dints is to add strength by corrugating the top in the manner of the old 2CV from Citroen. But clearly the car designers were concerned for its appearance: and quite rightly so.
Beezageoff wrote: Sat Oct 17, 2020 6:46 pm :?: Just a thought, but what steel are modern cars made out of? I read somewhere , that China produces a lot of steel. It certainly wouldn't be British steel, as most of the steel mills, if not all, are now closed!!
Steel production declined from the 70s as a direct result of the Thatcher government deciding to make the UK a service economy. UK Manufacturing was above 25% of GDP in 1975; in the 60s it was higher, but and it declined rapidly so now we buy almost everything from China and the far east.

Mazda cars, being Japanese made, wouldn't be buying 'British' steel, now, would they? And as I recall, Japanese steel is up there with the best. But 'steel' isn't a single product. There are grades of steel, and modern production allows for the exact selection of the steel's composition. The dinting reported is more likely a consequence of the gauge of steel rather than its composition.

Our Mazda cars reflects design choices - cost vs weight vs looks vs performance. On the whole I think Mazda do a very good job. I just wish the dealers were not so crap!
spot on the dealers are by far the worst in the Mazda set up of the franchise
Lexus 250h UX premium sport edition