Automatic headights

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Beezageoff

Post by Beezageoff »

Took my CX3 for its 3rd service and MOT on Friday. Tonight, as I drove it out of the garage in the dark , I noticed that the headlights hadn't come on! I found the the light switch on the left stalk, had been moved from the 'auto' position, obviously done when it was being serviced. Had a word with a friend tonight, who happens to be a retired AA engineer, and he told me, when the car goes in for a MOT, the tester always moves the light switch stalk from auto to manual, to make sure that the lights work in the manual position. So, be warned. If your lights dont work automatically after a MOT, you'll know to check the switch!! :o
CX3 30/10/2018 Sat Nav+ 2litre Petrol Manual

Strangways

Post by Strangways »

I always check to make sure it is NOT in 'auto'. I think it is far to dangerous.
Driving at dusk I went under some trees and a bridge. My lights were on auto and so they switched on. The driver waiting in a side turning thought I was indicating for him to pull out, so he did. I did manage to stop inches from his door, Needless to say I have never switched my lights onto the 'auto' setting since.
Now you may say he shouldn't have pulled out, so an accident would have been his fault. However I don't find that to be any consolation if we both end up in hospital, crippled or worse.
Obviously you will be thinking 'that will never happen to me'. But can you be sure?
I was following a car recently who had exactly the same problem. He didn't have time to stop but managed to swerve onto the opposite side of the road, fortunately nothing was coming the other way.

So please, please think carefully before handing over control to your car, rather than being in control of your car.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
Beezageoff

Post by Beezageoff »

Following a breakdown call out, I was advised that my alternator has had it. Got a price from my local Mazda dealer of around £1030 plus vat, to replace it, which includes the belt etc.!!!!
My question is this; when I drive to the Mazda garage, which is about 10 miles from my house, as the alternator wont be charging the battery, will I have enough charge in the battery to get me there, bearing in mind that the daylight running lights will be using a bit of battery power?
Thanks.
Graeme67

Post by Graeme67 »

Beezageoff wrote: Tue Apr 25, 2023 2:11 pm Following a breakdown call out, I was advised that my alternator has had it. Got a price from my local Mazda dealer of around £1030 plus vat, to replace it, which includes the belt etc.!!!!
My question is this; when I drive to the Mazda garage, which is about 10 miles from my house, as the alternator wont be charging the battery, will I have enough charge in the battery to get me there, bearing in mind that the daylight running lights will be using a bit of battery power?
Thanks.
Charge the battery first.. And then find an Indy garage. There's no way i'd pay Mazda £1030 to change an alternator, Even if it did include the belt..... Look on Ebay, Alternator about £200.
2017 CX 3 1.5 Diesel Sport Nav
Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

https://www.startermotor-alternator-sto ... 5286-p.asp

Worth a phone call as priced at £118! Vs £1236 fitted. Graham is right. Get an indi to do it and it will cost no more than £100 labour plus whatever you pay for the alternator and belts. Mazda are trying to bend you over twice!

About 10 years ago a took a ford focus to main dealer with alternator issues and got fleeced £650 for a new one. Then I didn't have the time or limited skill required to fit a new on.
2016 Mazda 2 Sport Nav 1.5 Skyactiv Diesel.
Beezageoff

Post by Beezageoff »

Thanks for the advice. Certainly food for thought.