Folding door mirrors

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

The wing mirror mechanism could have frozen overnight with water ingress--this happened to me the other day--so if i can remember on cold mornings I pour warm water over both mirrors before "opening"
CX-3 SPORT NAV ,5 DOOR HATCHBACK,1998CC,PETROL-2018

ivan@raf

Post by ivan@raf »

Yes I too have had that happen but there was no frost the night before and the symptoms continued all day yesterday and today until I tried your tip and now seem OK. I've pretty much tested it to death, operating the fob every time I walk past the car. Not failed once so fingers crossed.
Thanks again anyway
09/17 CX3 2.0L petrol Sport Nav 5dr. Manual. Colour ceramic. Getting 39+ mpg
Boyle de Cabbage

Post by Boyle de Cabbage »

Dogfuzz wrote: Thu Feb 03, 2022 9:13 am The slat/slot is the thin gap between the base of the wing mirror and the revolving mirror itself above. These gaps notoriously gather dust and grime--keeping them well lubricated works fine for me if i use GT85-PTFE spray.-but yes try WD40 first using their thin pipe applicators .....Can't do any harm
Be careful what you spray! I used WD40 to lubricate some house window slides. The windows have top hinge and the slides have a nylon follower on the linkage bearing quite a load, I suspect. Some time after, the window jambed open and the slide needed to be replaced. Inspection showed failure in the nylon follower. It had broken and become friable. I recall reading somewhere that silicone sprays have this effect on some plastics. PTFE spray sounds a better bet. Or an oil spray even.
Mazda paint is crap! Mazda should be ashamed of themselves!.