Folding door mirrors

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
ivan@raf

Post by ivan@raf »

I suddenly have a problem with my folding mirrors. The driver's side will only retract about a third of normal. The other side will only extend about a third of normal.
I called up CX3 folding mirrors on google and got the following which is a bit unclear.
Quote "to reset power mirrors press and hold the front passenger's widow switch and rear left/right power window switches on the driver's door at the same time for three seconds or longer"
Does anyone know if this is some mechanic's trick not in the handbook and do they mean all three switches on the drivers side together or two on the drivers side and one on the passenger door,
Perhaps someone has had this fault, if so I would appreciate feedback before embarking og 20 mile trip to agent
09/17 CX3 2.0L petrol Sport Nav 5dr. Manual. Colour ceramic. Getting 39+ mpg

Deleted User 1027

Post by Deleted User 1027 »

Common fault...dealer should replace outside warranty as known fault.

viewtopic.php?t=2288
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

Forgive this simple piece of advice-have you tried squirting that ultra super thin oil into the slats when shut-then again when open….do not be economical…easy to wipe excess afterwards
CX-3 SPORT NAV ,5 DOOR HATCHBACK,1998CC,PETROL-2018
ivan@raf

Post by ivan@raf »

Thanks for tip but what do you mean by slats? Might try wd40 first
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

The slat/slot is the thin gap between the base of the wing mirror and the revolving mirror itself above. These gaps notoriously gather dust and grime--keeping them well lubricated works fine for me if i use GT85-PTFE spray.-but yes try WD40 first using their thin pipe applicators .....Can't do any harm
ivan@raf

Post by ivan@raf »

Dogfuzz. Thanks for that. Where do you get it please?

MJC1216
Do you know what part is replaced if any please?
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

You can get GT85 from Amazon
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

Or Wilko
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

I would try PTFE spray or 3-in-One Silicone Lubricant spray, as I understand WD-40 doesn't play nicely with some plastics over time.
It depends on exactly what's wrong internally, but water ingress to the motor unit causing lack of lubrication and corrosion is often the cause.
Dealers used to replace the whole mirror assembly, but now I think they strip it down and just replace the motor unit with a modified one.
If you go to a dealer, don't expect them to fix it on your first visit. Usually they have to examine and satisfy themselves that it's not the cause of accident damage, then they have to raise a claim with Mazda and await delivery of the part. If outside warranty it would be a goodwill claim, and they are usually turned down if the car is over 5 years old or if it's ever been serviced outside the franchised dealer network.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
ivan@raf

Post by ivan@raf »

Thank to responders. I slipped into local Halfords and bought some GT85. Only £4. Gave a thirty second spray to both sides and they worked ok for about six tries. Hopefully that's it. If it lasts I will give them a squirt every month so.
I went to a different car wash the day before the problem arose. I now recall thinking that the pressure spray was noticeably stronger than my usual one. I'm wondering if that forced something into the mechanism