Checking oil

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

Checked oil yesterday from cold and found it between full and empty--then checked handbook and it said i should have first had the engine running at normal temperature -then switched off-waited 5 minutes--then made my dip stick check. Why the latter?--it's the first car I've owned that is recommending this. Usually it's just "check from cold ensuring vehicle is level".
What is the difference in a dip stick check when cold against the Mazda handbook advice ?
CX-3 SPORT NAV ,5 DOOR HATCHBACK,1998CC,PETROL-2018

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

The viscosity decreases as it warms up and it'll also expand. The dipstick markings and level sensors will be calibrated for warm oil.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

You'd have thought it wouldn't be beyond the skill of the engineers at Mazda to sort out having the cold and hot full and empty markings on either side of the dipstick, so owners could check the oil level if the engine is at normal temperature after being driven or cold before being started? Like Dogfuzz, all my previous cars from various other manufacturers have needed the oil level checked when the engine is cold.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

If I ( and others!) have been inadvertently checking oil from cold and where necessary topping up to the maximum level-would it then follow that we would have been overfilling? how much oil is actually necessary to top up from the minimum dipstick level?
Final question- does a warning light come on if the oil level is low or too high?
CX-3 SPORT NAV ,5 DOOR HATCHBACK,1998CC,PETROL-2018