1.5d cx3 bad fuel consumption?

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Shansingh1100

Post by Shansingh1100 »

So I recently purchased a used 2016 Mazda 1.5d from Japan and I'm curious as to what the other folks are getting in terms of fuel consumption. From about two months of driving it I have been averaging 12-14km per litre. Basically I get roughly 600km off of a tank of diesel, I do mostly city driving I have tried fuel for different service stations with no major differences. There's no known DTC on the vehicle or anything of the sort. Is this normal for some reason or do I have an issue with something as I read that other folks average way more.

Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

This seems a bit low to me. This is the equivalent of 37 miles per gallon. Fuel consumption will depend on your usage. If you are doing only short journeys in low winter temperatures, then the engine will not be operating efficiently. In normal use 45-50 mpg (16-18 KM/L) seems about right.

Causes of poor fuel consumption could include a sticking brake caliper, damaged fuel injector(s), soot build up in the inlet manifold, part blocked DPF (causing frequent regenerations) or poor service history.

Do you have a copy of the digital service record? If no history is known then I would change the oil and all the filters (oil, air and fuel) and see if things improve. I would also check that all four wheels rotate freely.

You can download the Forscan app for free and using a cheap ODB dongle you can check most engine parameters including DPF regeneration frequency.
2016 Mazda 2 Sport Nav 1.5 Skyactiv Diesel.
Shansingh1100

Post by Shansingh1100 »

Thanks. For the info.