Car “sometimes” won’t open and “sometimes” won’t start!

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Loo4444

Post by Loo4444 »

Hi all,
I wonder if anyone can help me here please? I have a CX-3 2019 Skyactiv automatic car. Sometimes I can’t unlock the car either by the fob or by using the door handle. When this happens, I then have trouble starting the car. Nothing lights up on the dash board and I then start to semi panic. I get out the car, slam the door a few times, hit the fob to see if anything happens, kick the back tyre (that’s optional) and then climb back into the car whereby it MIGHT decide it’s going to start or not. Repeat process until engine starts! Can anybody please guide me to what may be wrong so I can get it repaired? Thanks for any advice.

Percy247

Post by Percy247 »

Not heard of anything like this before on here. I would change the coin battery on your key fob, check that your 12V battery is in good condition and if you have a scan tool check for any fault codes.

This sounds a bit more complicated than the usual minor electrical gremlins that are caused as the 12V battery starts to degrade.
2016 Mazda 2 Sport Nav 1.5 Skyactiv Diesel.
Loo4444

Post by Loo4444 »

Thanks Percy247. Fob battery recently changed. I’ve had Mazda’s as my choice of car for the last 25 years. Unfortunately, this one has really put me off. It totally has a mind of its own - sometimes stop start, phone connection, windscreen wipers, and some of the other “smart” things don’t work - car is very temperamental and I really dislike it. I shouldn’t be scared of driving it somewhere in case it won’t start again to get me home, but I am. Will book it in for a diagnostic check (yet again). Thanks for your help.
TEB

Post by TEB »

Agree, have you had the cars battery health checked?

I bought our 68 plate AWD with only 13k miles when it was exactly four years old, one of the first issues was a dying battery, partly down to its minimal use. Had other issues too, but thankfully these have been sorted by either the supplying main dealer under goodwill, or the Mazda used car warranty, which I have since extended just in case.
2018/68 CX-3 150ps AWD Sport Nav +, Machine Grey, Manual
Loo4444

Post by Loo4444 »

Thanks TEB - MOT due so will get battery checked.