Safety Cameras Warnings

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
alanandlyn

Post by alanandlyn »

Greenman wrote:ps - what are the radar sensors ????
Hmmm....looks like I may have been misled; I was told that the sensor in the front of the car could detect speed cameras.....I think this was rubbish.
CX-3 SportNav 2WD, Petrol Auto, Ceramic, Stone Leather :)

Peter55

Post by Peter55 »

I've updated my maps to November and my local speed camera comes up ok

I only got the car on Saturday, I'm assuming the dealer put the latest software on my car, although not on the sat Nav SD card

As it takes hours to backup and download/install I'm not attempting it again until Christmas
Sport Nav Petrol Auto Dynamic Blue
Armrest
Front Sensors
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

alanandlyn wrote:Hmmm....looks like I may have been misled; I was told that the sensor in the front of the car could detect speed cameras.....I think this was rubbish.
Yes, you were given duff information. The Mazda sat nav simply has a database of known safety camera locations (at the time of the last map update installation) and displays them on the map.

As a side note, radar speed camera detectors are prone to false alarms from things like shop doorway sensors, traffic lights and even other vehicles using adaptive cruise control. Gatso cameras use radar but most mobile cameras now use laser technology to detect a vehicle's speed from up to about a mile away. Some of the average speed check systems don't even use lasers, they just take two digital photos and compare your average speed between them. If you have a radar or laser detector without GPS, then by the time it goes bleep to warn you of a camera, you've probably already been caught. Detectors that are not solely GPS based may become illegal to use in the future.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Peter55 wrote:I've updated my maps to November and my local speed camera comes up ok...
When I installed the November update a few of the previous camera warnings local to me disappeared off the map. It wasn't until I travelled further that I got some camera warnings back. I'm pretty sure there should be more coming up on the map than there currently are though. Waiting to see what happens after the next map release.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
alanandlyn

Post by alanandlyn »

jtonline wrote:
alanandlyn wrote:Hmmm....looks like I may have been misled; I was told that the sensor in the front of the car could detect speed cameras.....I think this was rubbish.
Yes, you were given duff information. The Mazda sat nav simply has a database of known safety camera locations (at the time of the last map update installation) and displays them on the map.

As a side note, radar speed camera detectors are prone to false alarms from things like shop doorway sensors, traffic lights and even other vehicles using adaptive cruise control. Gatso cameras use radar but most mobile cameras now use laser technology to detect a vehicle's speed from up to about a mile away. Some of the average speed check systems don't even use lasers, they just take two digital photos and compare your average speed between them. If you have a radar or laser detector without GPS, then by the time it goes bleep to warn you of a camera, you've probably already been caught. Detectors that are not solely GPS based may become illegal to use in the future.
Thanks for that JT, I wonder where the mapping organisations get their information from. As I said, I've been convinced for some while that one near me isn't operative. I wonder if the map builders are only fed information about live cameras.
Deleted User 406

Post by Deleted User 406 »

You can update the speed camera database yourself using Pocket GPS World's database. You'll need the iGO Myway files.
alanandlyn

Post by alanandlyn »

rockposer wrote:You can update the speed camera database yourself using Pocket GPS World's database. You'll need the iGO Myway files.
Thanks for that, I don't think I'll bother - it's never been a problem for me.
ROBCALLY

Post by ROBCALLY »

Hi Rockposer,
I have a Mazda 3 and i think it has the same sat nav that yours has,
I see you have posted ""You can update the speed camera database yourself using Pocket GPS World's database. You'll need the iGO Myway files.""

Please could you explain how you do it do you just copy the files onto the SDcard.

Regards,
Robcally
Deleted User 406

Post by Deleted User 406 »

The safety camera database file from Pocket GPS World needs to be copied and pasted into the 'safety camera' folder on the SD card.

There are several folders in there ranging from Maps (obviously) license, POI's etc etc
ROBCALLY

Post by ROBCALLY »

Hi Rockposer,
I know from your previous post its the Igo Myway files to download
Do you download the single file with cameras file or consolidated by type file from PGS world
and do you delete any files on the SD card.
Have you done this yourself on your SD card sorry to be a pain.

Regards
Robcally