blue coolant light

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
tyrfelin

Post by tyrfelin »

Many cars come with this these days - no need for temperature guage!
Sport Nav 2.0 Snowflake White

Cate1101

Post by Cate1101 »

It's bizarre that the temperature light wasn't blue on a cold day when my new Mazda CX-3 had been sitting outside overnight. Yet after a night in the underground with warmer temperatures the blue light came on. Glad to have found this forum as I just picked up my car a few days ago and did not expect to have any "warning" lights come on at 78kms!
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

Cate1101 wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:14 pm It's bizarre that the temperature light wasn't blue on a cold day when my new Mazda CX-3 had been sitting outside overnight. Yet after a night in the underground with warmer temperatures the blue light came on. Glad to have found this forum as I just picked up my car a few days ago and did not expect to have any "warning" lights come on at 78kms!
It's not a warning light Cate, it's just an indicator light showing that the engine coolant hasn't warmed up yet.

By the way, welcome to the forums.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
Cate1101

Post by Cate1101 »

Do you have to wait for it to go out before you put the vehicle in DRIVE? I always wait a few minutes to let the oil go through the vehicle but this light stays on much longer than I normally wait.

Thanks,
Cate
2018 Mazda CX-3 GT, Eternal Blue Mica, Automatic, Petrol
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

No you don't have to wait. The light will stay on until the engine is warm enough to to show it is up to its optimum efficiency. When the engine is cold it will automatically increase the petrol to air mix until it warms up and then produce a more efficient mix. It doesn't stop you driving it. It just keeps you informed.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

It's a bit pointless really; what's important is the same symbol that will flash or light up RED if the engine is ever overheating (see page 7-51 of Owner's Manual).
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
SOMERS

Post by SOMERS »

It is not advisable to put the engine into gear until the blure tempreture goes out
and the Engine R.P.M settled down to 800 RPM , and not before,this goes for winter and summer

If in the event the engine tempreture light re apears in say red or orange the vehicle is over heating.
Imediately stop the enginge, let the engine cool down completely, check to coolent level you will need to determine why the engine is over hearing and get to you service agent .

Never release the radiator cap from a hot engine, you will get steam scalded.

Somers CX3 red
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

SOMERS wrote: Tue Oct 16, 2018 8:08 pm It is not advisable to put the engine into gear until the blure tempreture goes out...
I disagree.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

A car should be driven (sensibly) as soon as it is started so as to warm it up correctly, an engine will never reach optimum temperature sitting idling.
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

I agree with JT & Andy R.
You should NOT wait until the blue indicator light goes out. You should start driving straight away but give the car a while to get up to max operating temperature before using full throttle.
Car sold - but still following Mazda.