blue coolant light

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

This topic refuses to go away and still generates much interest.
So-Questions please
1)Does the blue light stay on permanently if there is a lack of coolant?
2)If there is a leak resulting in a substantial rise in temperature--what happens then to the light?
3) Design suggestion--what about no blue light at all-only a red one which extinguishes once engine has started then comes on again ( or stays on) if there is or are abnormalities such as a leak, the need for more coolant or another mechanical fault?
CX-3 SPORT NAV ,5 DOOR HATCHBACK,1998CC,PETROL-2018

hsdejong

Post by hsdejong »

Handy Andy wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:59 am I agree with JT & Andy R.
You should NOT wait until the blue indicator light goes out. You should start driving straight away but give the car a while to get up to max operating temperature before using full throttle.

"Start/Stop Engine" chapter of the Mazda CX-3 Owner's Manual (Form No. 8FU7-EE-16J+L_2)

Page 4-8
"After starting the engine, let it idle for about ten seconds (Prohibited in Germany)."

Page 4-6
"After starting a cold engine, the engine speed increases and a whining sound from the engine compartment can be heard. This is for improved exhaust gas purification and does not indicate any parts defect."

=<>=

Personally I always let the engine run idle after a cold start for at least 10 seconds till the RPM indicator falls back to 1000RPM and the engine sounds normal before I drive away.
  • Mazda CX-5 2023 Exclusive-Line (Black Comfort Pack) Petrol FWD Manual Soul Red Crystal Metallic
hsdejong

Post by hsdejong »

Dogfuzz wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:39 am This topic refuses to go away and still generates much interest.
So-Questions please
1)Does the blue light stay on permanently if there is a lack of coolant?
2)If there is a leak resulting in a substantial rise in temperature--what happens then to the light?
3) Design suggestion--what about no blue light at all-only a red one which extinguishes once engine has started then comes on again ( or stays on) if there is or are abnormalities such as a leak, the need for more coolant or another mechanical fault?
1)
I don't think so.
Page 4-43: Low Engine Coolant Temperature Indicator Light (Blue)
The light illuminates continuously when the engine coolant temperature is low and turns off after the engine is warm. If the low engine coolant temperature indicator light remains illuminated after the engine has been sufficiently warmed up, the temperature sensor could have a malfunction.

2)
With not enough coolant the engine will get overheated.
Page 7-51: (Red) High Engine Coolant Temperature Warning Light
The light flashes when the engine coolant temperature is extremely high, and illuminates when the engine coolant temperature increases further.

3)
The blue light is a warning that you should wait before asking maximum performance from the engine.
Page 4-9: However do not use high engine speeds until reaching the operating temperature.

Modern cars are complex. I advise all drivers to read the owners manual to understand the operation of their car. :?
  • Mazda CX-5 2023 Exclusive-Line (Black Comfort Pack) Petrol FWD Manual Soul Red Crystal Metallic
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Modern cars are complex. I advise all drivers to read the owners manual to understand the operation of their car. :?

Amen to that!

10 seconds is about the time it takes for me to settle in the seat, adjust mirror have a quick look round for obstacles and then drive off.
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
Cate1101

Post by Cate1101 »

If I waited until it went away, I'd be waiting for 15-20 minutes at a minimum... and in winter (very cold, snow, etc)... I'd be waiting for much much longer... so I appreciate all feedback.. I have to go with driving sensibly to warm it up correctly.

I don't have a temperature guage on this vehicle... I'm used to that...and RPM's ... this little blue light is a pain!!!
2018 Mazda CX-3 GT, Eternal Blue Mica, Automatic, Petrol
SOMERS

Post by SOMERS »

Some of my comments ,if not all are primary intended for new CX3 owners.
There are certain safeguards that should be repeated for clarity.

Wow ! Full throttle, that's a tall order.

1) In cold climates 4 ltrs of oil to arive at tempreture takes longer than a few minutes.
2) Warm oil will circulate through out the engine better than cold oil.
3) It is not good practice to engage the gearbox until the engine R.P.M. has reached it lowest level.
4) City driving can cause engine over heating ,to disapate some of the hear turn on the cabin heating system.
5) I do not recomend adding aditional oil adatives to engine in the hopes for better performance.
6) Double checking engine oil level is always good practice.
7) Over filling engine oil can cause engine damage.
8) The practive of changing out engine oil on a regular basis has found to eliminate the build up of sludge, it is always wise to examine the oil from the dip stick on a clean piece of paper.
9) The frequency of engine oil changes is dependant on timing, milage and driving conditions.

My first oil CX3 change was done after the first week of normal driving.
After your first oil change, if you look at oil in the sunlight after an oil change you will see thousands of metal particles.

CX3 Soul red
Mazzy

Post by Mazzy »

I took the CX3 to work today a distance of about a mile; the blue light went out before I got there. My, albeit old, 2l Alfa takes much longer for the engine to reach normal operating temperature.
Is it right that the blue coolant light should go out so quickly. and if so, how is this possible in such a modern engine as opposed to me 12 year old Alfa?
2015 soul red CX3, sport nav auto petrol
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Mazzy wrote: Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:19 pmIs it right that the blue coolant light should go out so quickly. and if so, how is this possible in such a modern engine as opposed to me 12 year old Alfa?
Yes, it usually goes out quickly. It signifies the coolant is no longer cold, but it does not necessarily mean it has reached normal operating temperature.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

Yes, crack on. The blue light is for info and if you read anything from it, your heater might not work and it might not be very economical while it is on.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD