blue coolant light

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Jakeyboy

Post by Jakeyboy »

Hi Should the blue coolant light be on when i start the engine. it comes on and stays on for a few minutes ? Is this normal ? Many thanks
Mazda CX3 SE 2.0 Petrol in arctic white

Gus

Post by Gus »

Yep, goes of when it reaches operating temperature.
CX-3, Sport Nav, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather, Sep 2015 to Sep 2018.
CX-5, Sport Nav+, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Crystal Metallic, Sep 2018.
TINO

Post by TINO »

Says when it is safe to push the Button :) engine is warming up.
The middle of the road is a dangerous place, you have to take sides. :)
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

Thanks for this answer-wish it was in the handbook.

A bit surprised that coolant is at operating temperature after ONLY a minute--was previously wondering if the light only went out-once system had identified that water pump was fully functional with sufficient coolant was present?

The handbook says the blue light is a warning that levels are low( and presumably a potential leak!). I suppose that is the case if the blue light was permanently ON.!
CX-3 SPORT NAV ,5 DOOR HATCHBACK,1998CC,PETROL-2018
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

Jakeyboy wrote: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:50 pm Hi Should the blue coolant light be on when i start the engine. it comes on and stays on for a few minutes ? Is this normal ? Many thanks
It is in the handbook section 4-42. I think some might be misreading what it is saying. It says "The light illuminates continuously when
the engine coolant temperature is low" not the actual level. Check out the page extract below

Mazda CX-3 Owners Manual extract re blue light.pdf
(21.12 KiB) Downloaded 677 times

It shouldn't stay on long when the car is started from cold - particularly on petrol engines - as it is designed that way.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

It will stay on longer in the winter as the coolant is starting at a much lower temperature.
Car sold - but still following Mazda.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Mazda says that when the blue thermometer light goes out, it doesn't necessarily mean that the coolant is up to normal temperature, just that it's not cold :)

If it lights up red, it's too hot.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
tyrfelin

Post by tyrfelin »

Simply lights for cold engine. Revs are higher momentarily then settle. Light goes out when engine warms (remember temperature gauges that never moved from cold for ages in "the old days")
Sport Nav 2.0 Snowflake White
Dogfuzz

Post by Dogfuzz »

Most amusing the way this has foxed so many!
One of the most notable things about this very visible blue light is that all drivers notice it and on first experience of the glow will initially think( as indeed I did ) that it was either a warning light of some sort or even the ultra familiar bluey notification of headlights on at full beam. I just wonder why Mazda didn't just have a mini temperature gauge?. You know--the ones notifying cold to the left, normal in the middle and red to the right for too hot. They worked well !
CX-3 SPORT NAV ,5 DOOR HATCHBACK,1998CC,PETROL-2018
thepiedpiper

Post by thepiedpiper »

My wife called me up the other day to tell me a blue light had come on so i logged on to this forum and found out that it was just a temperature light which goes off after the engine has warmed up.