acceleration power loss

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Hazrat

Post by Hazrat »

rockposer wrote:As someone who used to work on refineries I can tell you supermarket fuel comes out of the same tanks as branded.
With some inside knowledge too...totally agree rockposer...same product but different tankers in the load bay!! Won't make any difference to the running of your car.....!

htomi

Post by htomi »

All,
Same issue here with the our 2016 CX-3, 1.5 D. It happened 2 times so far. Last it happened yesterday. No warning lights illuminated, no messages stored under the Warning menu. The car just lost power out of blue. It as very dangerous as I was in a middle of an overtaking maneuver. Luckily it was on a dual carriage road and I was able to roll back safely to the slow lane.

Once I pulled over and shut off the car for 2 mins, the power returned and no more issue since.
I'm using fuel from either Texaco or Maxol (Ireland), however I cannot relate this to a fuel issue or clogged filter(s) as the car is used on long commute route 60 miles/ day. 85% dual carriage road ,10% back/farm road and 5% city driving.

It seems to me the car goes into a kinda limp mode to protect the engine/ cut off the turbo boost.
I'm saying that, as yesterday it had intermittent turbo boost too.
Again as said above once the engine was shut down for 2 mins or so, the boost returned.

I have another turbo car at home, (petrol, non Jap brand). Similar issue happened and the culprit was to replace the turbo control valve which is responsible to adjust/control the boost pressure to the turbo. I'm not too sure if the Mazda has a similar part within the vacuum circle, as I'm not familiar with this engine.

The car has been booked for inspection with the local Mazda dealer. I'm very curious what they'll come up with.
@ OP,
Was the issue ever resolved with your car ?
2016 CX-3, 2WD, 1.5D Executive SE, Soul Red.
htomi

Post by htomi »

As an update: dealership couldn't find any trace of the issue. No DTCs were logged/stored.
According to the service technician, our car has the latest available software update and none of the filters were clogged or abnormally dirty.
The dealership had reported the issue to Mazda.
In case if the problem will return, then the car needs to be left with the dealership for an extended period to try to replicate power loss and resolve it.

Since that day (aprox 3 wks/1500 km) no issues whatsoever.
Last edited by htomi on Sun Jul 24, 2016 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
htomi

Post by htomi »

I would say it 99.99% not a fuel issue, as it would be kinda 'permanent' and certainly cannot be 'resolved' with a re-start.
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

I would say that it could well be either/both fuel and fuel filter related.

Are they assuming the fuel filter is clean or have they changed it?

I’ve seen modern common rail diesels do some unbelievable tricks due to clogged fuel filters - strange noises, loos of power, cutting out and even back firing. I would start any fuel related fault with a new fuel filter, however unlikely it sounds.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

Just found this old thread and I think this is what is happening with ours too....any further forward?
Jess

Post by Jess »

Hi,

I was in Mazda Eastbourne with the same issue on my cx 3 and the service engineer advised he has seen 5 of the same issue with loss of power and it has nothing to do with the fuel. They are looking into it and trying to figure it out but I reckon it's a manufacturing issue where the car hasn't been tested to the best specs.
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

Thanks for that.
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

Just googled this and have read a few threads with cx3 cx5 and cx9 reporting the same problem of losing power while accelerating, it maybe be to early to say but I get the feeling that the cx range has a manufacturing proplem and its not down to fuel.
Fridge

Post by Fridge »

Update as posted on my losing power thread.

Just heard back from the dealership and it seems that the problem has been identified as the fuel housing, the service manager said they are now seeing a few of these faults and having spoken to Mazda they have been told to replace this part to resolve the issues.