DRL's

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Deleted User 406

Post by Deleted User 406 »

Noticed something on my commute in this morning as I was behind another car and could see the DLR's in the reflection.
When I applied the hand brake they went out. Wasn't in iStop, the engine hadn't cut out. Just seemed a bit odd.

ScruffyBadger

Post by ScruffyBadger »

Hello, Most of Mazda's vehicles daytime run lights will go off when the handbrake is applied.

Not sure why? Potentially a legal thing?
CX-3, Sport Nav, Diesel, Black Mica, Half Stone Leather
Deleted User 406

Can't see why it would be a legal thing. My Volvo's DLR's never went off when applying the hand brake
p6nsh

Post by p6nsh »

They also switch off when selecting P in auto
Machine Grey Sport Nav+ 150ps AWD Auto with safety Pack
Gus

Post by Gus »

I hadn't thought about it before but I guess the clue is in the title "Daylight Running Lights", this is a thought not a educated guess and defiantly not meant to be dig at anyone,

Edit: mind you running could also mean engine on?
CX-3, Sport Nav, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather, Sep 2015 to Sep 2018.
CX-5, Sport Nav+, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Crystal Metallic, Sep 2018.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Extract (with my emboldening) from UN Vehicle Regulation No. 48 - Uniform provisions concerning the approval of vehicles with regard to the installation of lighting and light-signalling devices:
6.19.7.1. The daytime running lamps shall be switched ON automatically when the device which starts and/or stops the engine (propulsion system) is set in a position which makes it possible for the engine (propulsion system) to operate. However, the daytime running lamps may remain OFF while the following conditions exist:
6.19.7.1.1. The automatic transmission control is in the park position; or
6.19.7.1.2. The parking brake is in the applied position; or
6.19.7.1.3. Prior to the vehicle being set in motion for the first time after each manual activation of the propulsion system
6.19.7.2. The daytime running lamps may be switched OFF manually when the vehicle speed does not exceed 10 km/h provided they switch ON automatically when the vehicle speed exceeds 10 km/h or when the vehicle has travelled more than 100 m and they remain ON until deliberately switched off again.
6.19.7.3. The daytime running lamp shall switch OFF automatically when the device which starts and/or stops the engine (propulsion system) is set in a position which makes it impossible for the engine (propulsion system) to operate or the front fog lamps or headlamps are switched ON, except when the latter are used to give intermittent luminous warnings at short intervals.
Quite a few manufacturers choose to switch off DRL's when those conditions exist.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

And just like the CX-3 doesn’t have the same emission system of older cars that will run happily on supermarket weasel pee, it has a bang up to date lighting system. Page 4 is almost a replica of Jules’s post;
drl.pdf
(211.96 KiB) Downloaded 470 times
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
Deleted User 406

Still can't see the point in turning them off every time you put the hand break on. Oh well I'll put it down to another weird Mazda quirk :roll:

It's not a Mazda quirk - it's in Jules's legislation list.

The powers that be have concluded that they are running lights and sitting with the handbrake on isn't running. In poor light conditions they can be a damn nuisance to other road users. The preconditions for having them on make perfect sense.
alanandlyn

Post by alanandlyn »

Can't see why the rear lights aren't included in the DRL configuration (like Volvo's); seems much more sensible to me. I wonder if it's an easy wiring change :?:

Also, ever watched an Audi with the turn indicator on? The DRL on the indicating side turns off.
CX-3 SportNav 2WD, Petrol Auto, Ceramic, Stone Leather :)
santa

Post by santa »

alanandlyn wrote:Can't see why the rear lights aren't included in the DRL configuration (like Volvo's); seems much more sensible to me. I wonder if it's an easy wiring change :?:
That was a puzzle for me too.
I got the dealer to include the rear lights in drl on my CX-3 before delivery, just how they did it, I have no idea.
alanandlyn wrote:Also, ever watched an Audi with the turn indicator on? The DRL on the indicating side turns off.
That's not really necessary on the CX-3 as the turn indicators are well below the drl's.
Mazda CX-30 2.0 150HP Aut. Cosmo w. Tech Pack in Arctic White, 2023.