DRL's

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

I also think the rear lights should be on as part of DRL. I have the auto lights and have them set on the most sensitive settings. They still don't come on when you wish them to in the daytime, especially when raining and on a motorway.
I do think a good idea would be to link the headlights to the auto wind screen wipers - they should come on when the wipers are working above a certain intermittent speed or on continuously. Also it they were also linked to speed or through the satnav when motorways are entered. As in some countries headlights are obligatory when on motorways or equivalent.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

tyrfelin wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:13 pm Disagreeing with the first post that stated they are not needed. WHY DON'T YOU READ my post through jtonline!!
I did, it isn't clear, but you've clarified what you meant now. :)
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
tyrfelin

Post by tyrfelin »

Thanks! ☺
Sport Nav 2.0 Snowflake White
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

HouseSpider wrote: Sun Aug 19, 2018 6:09 pm I also think the rear lights should be on as part of DRL. I have the auto lights and have them set on the most sensitive settings. They still don't come on when you wish them to in the daytime, especially when raining and on a motorway.
I do think a good idea would be to link the headlights to the auto wind screen wipers - they should come on when the wipers are working above a certain intermittent speed or on continuously. Also it they were also linked to speed or through the satnav when motorways are entered. As in some countries headlights are obligatory when on motorways or equivalent.
I do agree that DRL is an excellent idea, but auto lights should be banned. Auto lights are completely unnecessary especially if you have DRL.
I had a car pull out of a side turning in front of me because my auto lights switched on and he thought I was indicating for him to go. I don't know how I managed not to hit him, but I will never forget the look on his face as I stopped inches from his window. Needless to say I have never used auto lights again. I'm sure those of you who can't decide when you should switch your lights on will continue to use your auto lights until you plow into the side of another car who thinks you are being polite. Of course at that point it could be too late to learn.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

I disagree "Auto lights are completely unnecessary especially if you have DRL" for the reason the rear lights are not connected to this function. I see many vehicles on the roads in bad weather and at dawn/dusk relying on their DRLs unaware their rear lights are not on.

Unfortunately flashing of headlights is widely interpreted incorrectly. But I always try to be wary of anyone exiting a side road. Additionally I don't pull out if anyone flashes me unless they are stationary, nor trust indicators on cars purportedly turning in to the road I'm exiting.
Last edited by HouseSpider on Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:12 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

Well at least we can agree on some points. I totally agree with your second paragraph. The problem is that many people don't agree with it, which is obviously why the guy pulled out in front of me. Like you (and being an ex motor cyclist) I am also very wary of anybody exiting a side road or driveway.
The problem is that all these supposed safety features make many drivers lazy and they give up thinking for themselves. Auto lights don't always work in bad weather and they don't often work in the snow. So they don't always work when you want them to and sometimes work when you don't want them to. At least with DRL (which are generally very bright lights) you are likely to be seen if it's dawn or dusk. If it's any earlier or later you will know you need lights to see where you are going.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
Gordongilchrist

Post by Gordongilchrist »

HouseSpider wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 12:22 pm I disagree "Auto lights are completely unnecessary especially if you have DRL" for the reason the rear lights are not connected to this function. I see many vehicles on the roads in bad weather and at dawn/dusk relying on their DRLs unaware their rear lights are not on.

Unfortunately flashing of headlights is widely interpreted incorrectly. But I always try to be wary of anyone exiting a side road. Additionally I don't pull out if anyone flashes me unless they are stationary, nor trust indicators on cars purportedly turning in to the road I'm exiting.
Soo agreed. Trust no one. Even view the wife n kids with suspicion 😀
2017 Mazda CX-3 sport nav 2WD Automatic 120 petrol in white :)