Stains on alloy wheels

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Quoman

Post by Quoman »

Same here. 3 alloys had white under the lacquer, no sign of scratches when you feel them - Mazda milton keynes sent the pictures off and had 3 replaced - yet again, 3 wheels not 4 were affected strangely.
2016 2.0 Sport Nav Manual, Titanium Mica

lhcmazda

Post by lhcmazda »

I have noticed RUST marks on some of the wheel nuts on my Mazda CX 3 only covered 1500 miles from new in September 2018, anyone else noticed the same problem ?????
2018 CX-3 Machine Grey 2.0 Petrol 150ps Auto Sports Nav AWD plus Safety Pack
lhcmazda

Post by lhcmazda »

MrMildrew wrote: Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:34 am Have checked this thread for a similar problem. Just wanted to check if anyone has noticed their locking wheel nuts and normal wheel nuts rusting. The nuts on all four wheels have rust on them to various degrees. Also noticed there seems to be some black coating on the wheels that is coming off. It is around the edge of the wheel rim, not sure if this is something to do with the tyre or the wheels?
Hi my new CX-3 registered September 2018 only covered 1500 miles, some of my Chrome Wheel Nuts have traces of RUST on them, I have posted the problem into this forum like you to see if anyone else has noticed the same on their chrome wheel nuts. I shall be calling into RRG Mazda to have the affected Chrome Wheel Nuts replaced under warranty in the hope that it doesn't happen with the replacement wheel nuts.
2018 CX-3 Machine Grey 2.0 Petrol 150ps Auto Sports Nav AWD plus Safety Pack
Vincent66

Post by Vincent66 »

Just a personal view.

Current industry trend that Mazda have followed for "Diamond cut" wheels is I think unfortunate.

I'm guessing its really hard to paint anything well that has sharp edges (Sorry from photo hard to tell). Turbulence at the edge means paint/lacquer won't stick.

The other current trend for "double" (or more) spoke wheels is again also a bad choice as it again makes painting tricky so I guess will see corrosion in the nooks and carnies.

Why follow fashion ?

Just make some simple good designs e.g. 5 spoke (as the nuts) keeping the design all nice and smooth. Easy to keep clean then.

Anyone in the industry give us a view please ?

Thanks.
2016 Cx3 2L Petrol Auto
Vincent66

Post by Vincent66 »

For rusting locking nuts I always paint the outer lock bit (that the key engages with) with Finnegans wax oil, after torquing up. Torque up is probably bound to damage chrome. Then periodic re-wax. It all depends how long you want the nuts to last and if you have cash for new ones.

My tin of this product is 30 years old (please laugh) and I have to paint the outside of the tin now to stop it rusting . . .
2016 Cx3 2L Petrol Auto
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Vincent66 wrote: Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:28 pm For rusting locking nuts I always paint the outer lock bit (that the key engages with) with Finnegans wax oil, after torquing up. Torque up is probably bound to damage chrome. Then periodic re-wax. It all depends how long you want the nuts to last and if you have cash for new ones.

My tin of this product is 30 years old (please laugh) and I have to paint the outside of the tin now to stop it rusting . . .
I have some of that in a old coffie jar that is 42 years old (beat that someone)and I still use it although its gone a bit thick now, we used to pump it into the box sections of the chassis....and no they were not the good old days much prefer the cars of today :lol:
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019