How’s it going so far?

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

Just to spark a bit of discussion, has anyone had any faults so far? Has anyone got any particular likes or dislikes for anything?

Just curious!
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD

anchorman

Post by anchorman »

So how good is that posh wireless anybody?
Bill

Post by Bill »

You will Love it anchorman, the DAB radio is much better than FM. I love the automatic box and the diesel engine is quiet when warm. The heating is excellent for a diesel, its blowing warm air in no time at all, the brakes are good but the suspension is a bit harsh on some of roads around here. It corners well and I think that might be down to the AWD setup. That's me covered 250 miles now and it's averaging around the 50 mpg. I find the new armrest just a nice height for your arm to work the gear stick in the manual mode if you don't want to use the paddles. its also nice to have the park mode so no need to apply the handbrake while parked in the garage.
It's a pity the folding mirrors don't fold in automatically, because I always forget to manually fold them in when leaving the car, but that's nit picking.
Bill

IMG_0354.JPG

Sport Nav Diesel AWD Automatic
Ju!

Post by Ju! »

I commented that it was a shame it didn't have automatically folding mirrors after our test drive and the salesman said there was a kit that could be fitted for £130. As he couldn't really give discount on day one of sales he gave us that for free. :D
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

Bill

I can only get 30 out of my RAV auto so 50 will be sexual!

A word of warning which Gus mooted when I get on my soap box. Do not use supermarket diesel in it as the CX3 has a particulate filter in the exhaust. Supermarket diesel will require the system to be purged more often than branded fuel due to its low detergent additive. Purging is done by injecting extra diesel in the post phase (exhaust stroke) to heat up the filter and burn it out. The trouble is that you have no way of knowing when it will happen other than when the engine is warm. If the process is interrupted you will end up with the engine oil getting diluted and the sump filling up with diesel. That will mean interim oil changes and if it gets really bad, dealer induced regens at your expense.

Although it cost a bit more, high grade diesel or at least branded diesel is the way to minimise the risk of big problems.

Check the oil level frequently until you establish how your engine is responding to the way you drive. There is an X above the full mark on the dipstick. If the oil reaches the X, you must get the engine oil changed.

Oh and by the way, rotate the mirror adjust knob right forward to electrically fold the mirrors ;)

The heater has an electric element to speed up the warm up when the temp is below 16C so that takes the chill off the incoming air.
Last edited by anchorman on Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

Ju! wrote:I commented that it was a shame it didn't have automatically folding mirrors after our test drive and the salesman said there was a kit that could be fitted for £130. As he couldn't really give discount on day one of sales he gave us that for free. :D
Good news and nice that the dealer has made the gesture.
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

I suppose I'll get the answer for myself soon but how do you guys rate the LED headlights?
lancslad1985

Post by lancslad1985 »

anchorman wrote:Bill

I can only get 30 out of my RAV auto so 50 will be sexual!

A word of warning which Gus mooted when I get on my soap box. Do not use supermarket diesel in it as the CX3 has a particulate filter in the exhaust. Supermarket diesel will require the system to be purged more often than branded fuel due to its low detergent additive. Purging is done by injecting extra diesel in the post phase (exhaust stroke) to heat up the filter and burn it out. The trouble is that you have no way of knowing when it will happen other than when the engine is warm. If the process is interrupted you will end up with the engine oil getting diluted and the sump filling up with diesel. That will mean interim oil changes and if it gets really bad, dealer induced regens at your expense.

Although it cost a bit more, high grade diesel or at least branded diesel is the way to minimise the risk of big problems.

Check the oil level frequently until you establish how your engine is responding to the way you drive. There is an X above the full mark on the dipstick. If the oil reaches the X, you must get the engine oil changed.

Oh and by the way, rotate the mirror adjust knob right forward to electrically fold the mirrors ;)

The heater has an electric element to speed up the warm up when the temp is below 16C so that takes the chill off the incoming air.
Hi Anchorman. How common is this issue with the oil getting in the diesel and how often would the car require an oil change? I'm a high mileage person so just worried the car would need regular oil changes - I've read horror stories of every 1200 miles in the Mazda 3 and 6 and I can't afford to change the oil 20 times a year!
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

It all depends very much on what kind of driving you do. The worst kind is short journeys where the engine doesn't get warm and the driver tootles round with low revs. The best kind (read that as the kind that would generate the least oil dilution) is when the engine is hot for longer periods and the driver gets up the Rev range quite a lot. This is because it is a combination of heat and pressure that best purges the soot out of the DPF (exhaust filter). If the filter is kept clean by normal use, there is no need for the computer to force a regen (filter clean) and no risk of diesel getting oil getting in the diesel. The dilution will only occur during regen but it can be seen that under the right conditions, a regen will never take place. However, even if driving style is mixed or even low duty which would cause frequent regents, the risk of the filter becoming blocked is considerably reduced by not using supermarket diesel as it contains very little of the pricey soot busting detergents. You also need to make sure that when the oil is changed, they use "low ash" oil with a C2 or C3 rating.

I am not able to tell you how often you will dilute your oil but you already reduce the risk with higher mileage runs. You might benefit from letting the engine rev on longer hills once a month and you should certainly avoid supermarket diesel like the plague. Use only branded or better still, high grade which has double detergent added. I would say that those examples where 20 oil changes are needed are rare.
Gus

Post by Gus »

anchorman wrote:I suppose I'll get the answer for myself soon but how do you guys rate the LED headlights?
I like them! Have just noticed tonight the beam angle altering when going round a corner.
CX-3, Sport Nav, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather, Sep 2015 to Sep 2018.
CX-5, Sport Nav+, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Crystal Metallic, Sep 2018.