Mazda CX-3 iStop - problem or no problem?

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
santa

Post by santa »

Strangways wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:15 am Hi Santa, I also have an automatic. When you are in D the torque converter is engaged and putting a drain on the engine. If you put it in N the torque converter will disengage allowing the i-stop to operate. The engine will start again when you put it in D.
But that shouldn't be nescessary and it has always worked when in D.
Thge manual actually specifilic states it has to be in D or M (among other things):
"The selector leveris in the D or M position (not in second gear fixed mode)."

It's just a few times lately, when that message has popped up.
So I'm putting it down to a confused computer, sudenly thinking I have a manual.
Mazda CX-30 2.0 150HP Aut. Cosmo w. Tech Pack in Arctic White, 2023.

Deleted User 1511

Post by Deleted User 1511 »

If you are in D and don’t have the brake on (handbrake or footbrake) the engine will restart

In drive and keep footbrake applied and it should stay off until the parameters ( broadly 2 mins later) dictate it restarts. Note this is not recommended as you are blinding any cars begins with your brake lights.

If a longer stop is anticipated (eg at traffic lights), move your auto box into neutral and put the handbrake on..
BWJ

Post by BWJ »

i have never heard anyone with automatic, use neutral for stop in traffic lights. :shock: ;)
CX3 2.0, Aut. Nav. Optimum SRC. dec. 2019.
Deleted User 1511

Post by Deleted User 1511 »

Perhaps I misunderstood his statement about whether his car has neutral..

should "change gear to neutral" (it's in Danish so I'm not sure what the precise english wording is).....but I drive an automatic and that message would only make sense in a manual car.

My mistake
santa

Post by santa »

BWJ wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:18 pm i have never heard anyone with automatic, use neutral for stop in traffic lights. :shock: ;)
Me neither, which is why the message i got only makes sense in a car with manual transmission.
santa

Post by santa »

Oh, and I found a way to show the message:
When the engine has stopped using i-Stop lightly release the brake until the engine restarts but remain stationary, this wayi-Stop wont reactivate and the message is displayed.
It still doesn't make sense, so I think it's a programming issue not showing the correct message for an automatic.
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

santa wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:57 am Oh, and I found a way to show the message:
When the engine has stopped using i-Stop lightly release the brake until the engine restarts but remain stationary, this wayi-Stop wont reactivate and the message is displayed.
It still doesn't make sense, so I think it's a programming issue not showing the correct message for an automatic.
I tried it yesterday. When the message came up I put it in neutral and i-stop activated. The message was correct.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
santa

Post by santa »

Strangways wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:16 am
santa wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:57 am Oh, and I found a way to show the message:
I tried it yesterday. When the message came up I put it in neutral and i-stop activated. The message was correct.
I need to try that :)
I still think it's weird, since it's not normal to put the transmission in N when sitting in traffic.
And if I can reactivate i-Stop just by changing to N, then why won't it just do it in D.

But there you go, at least i-Stop works well and hasn't caused any issues in over 135.000 km (4 years) of driving (still with the original battery) :)
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

santa wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:45 am
I still think it's weird, since it's not normal to put the transmission in N when sitting in traffic.
And if I can reactivate i-Stop just by changing to N, then why won't it just do it in D.

But there you go, at least i-Stop works well and hasn't caused any issues in over 135.000 km (4 years) of driving (still with the original battery) :)
I don't think it will work in D for long as the resistance of the torque converter is draining energy from the system.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
santa

Post by santa »

Strangways wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:01 pm
santa wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:45 am

I don't think it will work in D for long as the resistance of the torque converter is draining energy from the system.
I always leave it in D and under normal circumstances i-Stop will shutdown the engine for up to 2 min. if needed.
When it starts the engine again it's usually due to the battery (or A/C depending on weather).