Mazda CX-3 iStop - problem or no problem?

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

santa wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:08 pm I always leave it in D and under normal circumstances i-Stop will shutdown the engine for up to 2 min. if needed.
When it starts the engine again it's usually due to the battery (or A/C depending on weather).
Same here.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd

Deleted User 1511

Post by Deleted User 1511 »

are you holding the car on the handbrake or footbrake?
- if footbrake how much pressure are you using; I believe the pedal has 2 stages, both of which will hold the car from creeping but perhaps only the harder press activates and maintains istop?

Like everyone else, I am intrigued by the seemingly variable nature of activation, not that it bothers me.

If have also determined the steering wheel needs to close to straight ahead as a pre-condition....
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

CX3fan wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:24 pm are you holding the car on the handbrake or footbrake?
- if footbrake how much pressure are you using; I believe the pedal has 2 stages, both of which will hold the car from creeping but perhaps only the harder press activates and maintains istop?

Like everyone else, I am intrigued by the seemingly variable nature of activation, not that it bothers me.

If have also determined the steering wheel needs to close to straight ahead as a pre-condition....
CX3fan, by design, the foot brake needs to be depressed firmly to activate i-stop. Some of the reasons why the system will not operate are listed in your Owner's Manual, see page 4-15.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Deleted User 1511

Thanks JT

As soon as I release pressure on the foot pedal, the engine starts...hence my question about how you hold the car when the auto is in drive...
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

CX3fan wrote: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:45 pm Thanks JT

As soon as I release pressure on the foot pedal, the engine starts...hence my question about how you hold the car when the auto is in drive...
Firstly I have an auto with an electronic handbrake and auto hold function on the foot brake, but the principal is the same.
When you put your foot on the foot brake and push hard, the i-stop switches off the engine. When you release the pressure on the foot brake it sometimes starts and sometimes doesn't. If you keep your foot hard on the brake the i-stop should operate for 2 mins as long as all other conditions are met. However if the car does start you can put the car into N and apply the handbrake which will generally operate i-stop for a little longer.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
Deleted User 1511

Which is what I stated originally and was poo pood for suggesting the use of neutral...
lhcmazda

Post by lhcmazda »

If your i-stop function doesn't work showing "NOT READY"in the Economy Meter screen, then check to see if any of the THREE Components (bottom right hand side of the screen) i.e Engine symbol, Battery symbol, or AC Air conditioning symbol, have not got a BLUE HALO around the component, the component without the Blue Halo is the component which is causing the i-stop not to work i.e. "NOT READY" showing in the Economy Meter screen. See Picture on previous page.
2018 CX-3 Machine Grey 2.0 Petrol 150ps Auto Sports Nav AWD plus Safety Pack
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

lhcmazda wrote: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:10 am If your i-stop function doesn't work showing "NOT READY"in the Economy Meter screen, then check to see if any of the THREE Components (bottom right hand side of the screen) i.e Engine symbol, Battery symbol, or AC Air conditioning symbol, have not got a BLUE HALO around the component, the component without the Blue Halo is the component which is causing the i-stop not to work i.e. "NOT READY" showing in the Economy Meter screen. See Picture on previous page.
Not always the case. My i-stop on (I have an automatic) can sometimes show all three items with a blue halo and a message below saying put it into N. I do and it the i-stop cuts the engine. I believe this is due to the power being absorbed by the torque converter. When I put it back into D the engine starts.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED