Mazda CX-3 iStop - problem or no problem?

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Deleted User 406

Post by Deleted User 406 »

I can't see why it's a pain.

It works very well, fast to re-start and saving you money

mum@mazda

Post by mum@mazda »

Think I will have to wait a long while before I see any return on my "investment". The technology associated with the istop system must add several hundred pounds to the cost of the car, but so far in 16000 miles it has saved me 40 miles, a grand total of £5. WOW, win win eh.
CX-3, Sport Nav, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather Aug 2015
bloodline

Post by bloodline »

mum@mazda wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 9:47 am Think I will have to wait a long while before I see any return on my "investment". The technology associated with the istop system must add several hundred pounds to the cost of the car, but so far in 16000 miles it has saved me 40 miles, a grand total of £5. WOW, win win eh.
As I, and others, have tried to point out, iStop isn't actually about how much money you save each year. If everyone with an IC engine didn't have their engines running when the car is stationary, we could massively extend the useful amount of oil available to make make fuel (etc...) and at the same time reduce the environmental impact of our desire/need to travel.

It's about leaving our children something more than a nasty bill and a big mess to clean up somehow.
CX-3 Sport Nav Petrol Manual 120ps FWD Dynamic Blue, London England ;)
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

bellissimo wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:48 pm I don't really do enough miles to get much value out of the i-Stop, according to the stats at least. One thing I have noticed though is that on occasion the engine does not start again when I put it into gear. I have to depress the clutch again to get it to start up. Is quite frustrating when trying to pull away from the lights and wondering why on earth you are not moving.

Has anyone else experienced this (only happens occasionally)?
you mean you can't tell whether the engine is or isn't running?
TAX

Post by TAX »

The tree huggers here have made me see the errors of my ways, and after being racked with guilt I have reluctantly turned the damn i-stop on again.

I have noticed that until the car engine has warmed up, and the blue temperature warning light has gone out, i-stop will not operate, and on a warmed up engine, sometimes the car will sit chugging away at a red light for up to 30 seconds before i-stop turns off the engine, even though I am keeping enough pressure on the footbrake to initiate i-stop.

At other times, it operates instantly as soon as the car comes to a halt.

I assume that is just down to the vagaries of the system and not an operational defect.
SEPT 2017
CX3GT AUTO PETROL. CERAMIC METALLIC. 39 MPG
YORKSHIRE.
tyrfelin

Post by tyrfelin »

IStop helps to keep the environment cleaner ('not much though I know)
Sport Nav 2.0 Snowflake White
bellissimo

Post by bellissimo »

Greenman wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:24 am
bellissimo wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:48 pm I don't really do enough miles to get much value out of the i-Stop, according to the stats at least. One thing I have noticed though is that on occasion the engine does not start again when I put it into gear. I have to depress the clutch again to get it to start up. Is quite frustrating when trying to pull away from the lights and wondering why on earth you are not moving.

Has anyone else experienced this (only happens occasionally)?
you mean you can't tell whether the engine is or isn't running?
I don't usually listen out for it when I am trying to pull away (and the radio can drown it out anyway). The point is that occasionally the engine fails to restart, which is certainly confusing for a second or so, and annoying when you get beeped from behind.
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

I am old enough to remember "Clunk, click, every trip". Now it's "iStop OFF, every trip" as well. On under 7000 miles a year I would rather save my nerves and the car's over complicated electronics than a tea cup of petrol or a puff of Carbon Dioxide. Switching off this silly gimmick soon becomes as automatic as fastening the seat belt.
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.
lat6caR

Post by lat6caR »

Hi
I am aware that this problem was well in the past, however, this may be of value to other owners. The i-stop stopped working on my CX-3 2ltr petrol Sport Nav in June last year during a hot period, the fault was traced by the dealer to a failed condenser on the air conditioning, which also had failed. We were lucky to have the condenser replaced in 2 weeks as I understand that at that time there was a long back order due to this common problem.
Last week the i-stop has again failed as has the air con, the car is booked in to the dealer next week, I will let you all know the outcome.
mum@mazda

Post by mum@mazda »

We are still having problems with the i-stop system. I changed dealers and in aug they had the car for a couple of days. They needed to deep charge the battery before they could diagnose the issue. The fact that another dealer had also done this 6 months earlier did not make any difference. Well, the i-stop has failed again. The display claims that it is the battery that is prohibiting the i-stop from stopping the engine, both the engine and AC indicators are blue. So I guess it's another trip to the dealer. In 2 years and 4 months and 16600 miles it has saved 50 miles of fuel, WOW, that must be nearly a gallon of unleaded, so whats that £7.......... The drive to the dealer is a 60 mile round trip, so it is already a sum negative.
CX-3, Sport Nav, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather Aug 2015