Mazda CX-3 iStop - problem or no problem?

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
mum@mazda

Post by mum@mazda »

Just to add to this thread. Our 2.0 sport nav, istop has started to play up a bit. Or I think it has. The car was not used for a period of 3 weeks last month (Nov). But since, istop has not cut in. The car started normally after the 3 week break, and has been used normally, but only for short runs since (2 weeks). Still no istop. This weekend we drove to London and back (400 miles), but still no istop. The app shows that it is the battery that is stopping the function, as engine and a/c are both blue. Is there a reset procedure, might I have to disconnect the battery, or might the battery be knackered. I would have thought a 400 mile trip would have charged the battery enough.
Any thoughts?
CX-3, Sport Nav, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather Aug 2015

GARRYT

Post by GARRYT »

I've saved about a quarter of a tank of fuel in 35,000 miles. I wonder how much shorter the life of the starter motor will be due to all those starts. I'm totally unconvinced by this technology.
Soul red D 2wd manual sport nav
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

There's a current sensor connected to the battery and the signal from that is one of the things that determines if i-stop triggers.

I don't think disconnecting the battery will help, but I might be wrong. Perhaps the battery hasn't yet reached a high enough stable voltage after the 3 week break and subsequent short runs? Although I would have thought the London trip would have topped it up sufficiently.

If you can drop it in to a dealer they'll be able to interrogate the electronics and recharge the battery if that's deemed necessary.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

GARRYT wrote:...I wonder how much shorter the life of the starter motor will be due to all those starts...
i-stop starts the engine through combustion and only uses the starter motor for a fraction of a second each time.
Julian.
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Pongy

Post by Pongy »

I have thw same problem. As temperatures went under 0*C battery on touch screen sign don't go blue. When I stop on the traffic light I just turned off main lights and battery become blue and i stop works normally. Every time I start car again have to repeat procedure. Obviusly there is problem with voltage. Will go to Mazda service to see what will be their explanation. Hope it will come back to normal as temperatures will go up.
mum@mazda

Post by mum@mazda »

Mmm interesting. Will try that tomorrow, off to London 380 mile round trip, in daylight. Maybe there is an issue with the battery. Have noticed also that sometimes the the a/c does not go blue, even though it is not turned on, then it does after a couple of minutes. Even though i have nit moved any of the heater control.
Too clever for its own good i think.
mum@mazda

Post by mum@mazda »

Well, the light on/off suggestion did not really help with my issues, but the more info/ ideas the better. After the 2nd trip to london the istop only worked during the last 5 mikes or so, i was watching the app info constantly, some might say paranoid, i say interested. The battery icon now regularly goes blue, but the aircon icon is now the main culprit. Are there any other pre requisites to the system working that are not obvious? I get the aircon on, and the demist functions, but might there be a humidity sensor or temperature sensor? I ask because today the battery and engine icons were blue, but not a/c. The a/c was off, and the fan on low to cabin vents. The cabin was cold, if i turned the blower off the icon went blue. If i turned it on it went out. If i left it on low, but turned the temp down (into the blue sector), it went blue. I then turned the temp to hot, but not full heat, and left the blower on for a while till the cabin warmed up a bit. I turbed the temp control down till the a/c icon went blue, but the point to which i had to turn down the temp dial for the icon to go blue had moved into the red sector. I then heated the cabin sone more, and it had moved up some more . So, is it cabin temperature/ humidity dependant even with the a/c switched off?

Sorry for the long winded thread, but this is bugging me now, i'm trying to play a game for which i don't know the rules lol.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

mum@mazda wrote:...So, is it cabin temperature/ humidity dependant even with the a/c switched off?..
Cabin temperature and the ambient temperature is taken into consideration, yes.

Some of the conditions that I know of that prevent iStop from stopping the engine:

◾ The engine is cold.
◾ The vehicle is stopped but the engine is kept idling.
◾ The air-conditioning is operating with the airflow mode dial in the windscreen position.
◾ Automatic air-conditioning
- The temperature setting dial for the air-conditioning is set to the maximum cooling (A/C ON) position.
- There is a large difference between the cabin temperature and the set temperature of the air-conditioning.
- The ambient temperature is extremely high or low.
- The atmospheric pressure is low (when driving at high altitudes).
◾ Automatic transaxle
- The vehicle is stopped on a steep incline.
- The steering wheel is not in the straight-ahead position while the vehicle is stopped.
◾SKYACTIV-D 1.5 engine
- Particulate matter is being removed from the diesel particulate filter (DPF).
- Fuel injection amount learning is being performed automatically.
Julian.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

mum@mazda wrote:Well, the light on/off suggestion did not really help with my issues, but the more info/ ideas the better. After the 2nd trip to london the istop only worked during the last 5 mikes or so, i was watching the app info constantly, some might say paranoid, i say interested. The battery icon now regularly goes blue, but the aircon icon is now the main culprit. Are there any other pre requisites to the system working that are not obvious? I get the aircon on, and the demist functions, but might there be a humidity sensor or temperature sensor? I ask because today the battery and engine icons were blue, but not a/c. The a/c was off, and the fan on low to cabin vents. The cabin was cold, if i turned the blower off the icon went blue. If i turned it on it went out. If i left it on low, but turned the temp down (into the blue sector), it went blue. I then turned the temp to hot, but not full heat, and left the blower on for a while till the cabin warmed up a bit. I turbed the temp control down till the a/c icon went blue, but the point to which i had to turn down the temp dial for the icon to go blue had moved into the red sector. I then heated the cabin sone more, and it had moved up some more . So, is it cabin temperature/ humidity dependant even with the a/c switched off?

Sorry for the long winded thread, but this is bugging me now, i'm trying to play a game for which i don't know the rules lol.

What are these "blue" icons for the battery, engine icons air con? I have only a blue thermostat indicator when the engine is cold (in the main dash display) and orange indicator on the air con dial to show if it is on or off
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Greenman wrote:...What are these "blue" icons for the battery, engine icons air con? I have only a blue thermostat indicator when the engine is cold (in the main dash display) and orange indicator on the air con dial to show if it is on or off
It's one of the graphic screens within Applications > Fuel Economy Monitor on the MZD Connect touchscreen which shows whether iStop is Ready or Not Ready. The icons either have a blue halo like glow around them or not.
Julian.