Mazda CX-3 iStop - problem or no problem?

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Gus

Post by Gus »

manofkent wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:50 am I must have the wrong end of the stick about i-stop. I assumed the engine would cut in once the accelerator is depressed to get moving again after a short stopat red lights and suchlike.. Expecting my new CX in a couple of weeks :D
The engines comes back in when you take your foot off the brake, the issue is that it only stops for two minutes and will then restart even when you still stuck at the lights and nowt has changed.
CX-3, Sport Nav, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather, Sep 2015 to Sep 2018.
CX-5, Sport Nav+, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Crystal Metallic, Sep 2018.

manofkent

Post by manofkent »

Gus wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:28 pm
manofkent wrote: Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:50 am I must have the wrong end of the stick about i-stop. I assumed the engine would cut in once the accelerator is depressed to get moving again after a short stopat red lights and suchlike.. Expecting my new CX in a couple of weeks :D
The engines comes back in when you take your foot off the brake, the issue is that it only stops for two minutes and will then restart even when you still stuck at the lights and nowt has changed.
Ahh I see, thanks Gus :)
CX3 Sport Nav 2 litre petrol auto 2WD - Deep Crystal Blue Mica - front sensors, arm rest, aluminium pedals
mum@mazda

Post by mum@mazda »

Well, they charged/conditioned the battery for me, and it appears to work now, i-stop at every opportunity, let's just hope it lasts.

On a side note, i wish they had not valeted it. Whoever they got to do it has never washed a car before, or they don't know how to change the water. It was completely covered in micro scratches, i was not happy.
A bit of TLC this weekend sorted it, but they will never valet it again, trust me.
CX-3, Sport Nav, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather Aug 2015
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

mum@mazda wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2017 7:12 pm Well, they charged/conditioned the battery for me, and it appears to work now, i-stop at every opportunity, let's just hope it lasts.

On a side note, i wish they had not valeted it. Whoever they got to do it has never washed a car before, or they don't know how to change the water. It was completely covered in micro scratches, i was not happy.
A bit of TLC this weekend sorted it, but they will never valet it again, trust me.
Good to hear the battery conditioning has done the trick. Re the dealer valeting experience , I'd suggest printing out the sign below for future use. I'm likely to do it when I drop my car in for a service next month :)

download/file.php?mode=view&id=413

Car_do_not_wash_sign.jpg

Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

Printed that one out Steve. Now I need one that says "if you spray that waxy crap around my door hinges and battery terminals I will set fire to your genitals".
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
PurbeckCX3

Post by PurbeckCX3 »

Resurrecting this thread as I have just returned to Spain and uncovered my CX3 after months of being laid up in the garage.
I had connected a battery conditioner, as I do with all my cars which are laid up.
However for the first time, the conditioner was not showing charged when I returned even though it was on green when I left.
I turned it off and on and it was not working correctly. I then used my other conditioner which again did not seem to be working correctly, even though it was working on my other car okay.
On my other cars which have I-Stops, the technical sheets state you should not connect a conditioner directly to the battery as it upsets the system somehow, I connect to either the jump positive terminal and just a earth bolt (on my BMW) and the positive side of a fuse box and an earth bolt (on my Jag) all as per technical sheets supplied.
Is there a special way of connecting a battery conditioner to the CX3 in the same way? I did ask the dealer here but apart from saying it was a good idea to use a conditioner, they were not much use!
Surprisingly (not) my I Stop is no longer working whereas it always worked prior to lay up.
Thanks Rob
TAX

Post by TAX »

Anybody else having really positive experiences of i-stop?
Yes, I turn mine off before each journey.

My gut feeling is that the thousands of extra starts will, over time, only serve to stress and wear out all the moving belts, cogs, gearings etc. that are brought into play whenever the engine starts much sooner when compared to a car that does not have a stop start system.
SEPT 2017
CX3GT AUTO PETROL. CERAMIC METALLIC. 39 MPG
YORKSHIRE.
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

I also turn mine off before each journey. In 16 months ownership I have never charged the battery, yet the wretched i-stop is always ready.
I am more than satisfied with 43.5mpg from my 2.0 petrol automatic. The i-stop is not there for the owner's convenience, or in my case inconvenience. It is there to keep the emission figures as low as possible in order to impress the powers that be in the EU.
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

Well look, I’m not a tree hugger as I’ve said before but this attitude to change has to stop. These things aren’t done to irritate or confound, they are done because we cannot go on melting the ice caps and raping the earth.

The cars are fitted with a special battery and a special starter motor that you paid extra for so that it can start and stop of its own accord. You have cars with very low emission engines that meet Euro VI and you are defeating the system manually in a luddite fashion. Sorry folks, I don’t get it and its a very selfish attitude.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

anchorman wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:22 am Well look, I’m not a tree hugger as I’ve said before but this attitude to change has to stop. These things aren’t done to irritate or confound, they are done because we cannot go on melting the ice caps and raping the earth.

The cars are fitted with a special battery and a special starter motor that you paid extra for so that it can start and stop of its own accord. You have cars with very low emission cars that meet Euro VI and you are defeating the system manually in a luddite fashion. Sorry folks, I don’t get it and its a very selfish attitude.
+ 1, always use it and never had any issues. It's part of the design to help us save the planet and importantly reduce the fuel bill. I commute into London so spend much time in traffic and hence the istop function was part of the reasoning behind choosing the car.
Sport Nav 2.0 Auto Petrol 2WD. Deep Crystal Blue Mica with Half Stone Leather Interior.