Mazda CX-3 iStop - problem or no problem?

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

If people really want to save the planet they should direct their attention to the worst culprits, which are air travel and over population, but since both of these would require international agreement nothing will ever be done. Meanwhile untaxed aviation fuel continues to be discharged into the upper atmosphere. That is where the real damage is done.
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.

UKDucatiman

Post by UKDucatiman »

zoylander wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:28 am If people really want to save the planet they should direct their attention to the worst culprits, which are air travel and over population, but since both of these would require international agreement nothing will ever be done. Meanwhile untaxed aviation fuel continues to be discharged into the upper atmosphere. That is where the real damage is done.
Every little thing helps :D
Sport Nav 2.0 Auto Petrol 2WD. Deep Crystal Blue Mica with Half Stone Leather Interior.
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

I help by not flying.
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

Aye and we can help by not disabling the istop. The Americans have got a habit of removing catalytic converters. They should be sent to gitmo.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
bellissimo

Post by bellissimo »

I don't really do enough miles to get much value out of the i-Stop, according to the stats at least. One thing I have noticed though is that on occasion the engine does not start again when I put it into gear. I have to depress the clutch again to get it to start up. Is quite frustrating when trying to pull away from the lights and wondering why on earth you are not moving.

Has anyone else experienced this (only happens occasionally)?
tyrfelin

Post by tyrfelin »

Cx3 Sport Nav 2.0 petrol manual - the best I-Stop I have used. Slick and accurate! Zoom-Zoom!!
Sport Nav 2.0 Snowflake White
bloodline

Post by bloodline »

iStop has been working exactly as advertised for me. Mostly only use the car only at weekends, saved 25miles.

I have no issue with "wear and tear", I still have a 26 year old Mk1 MX-5 running fine... and that engine ran for 6 months without any oil (Girl friend didn't notice the lack of oil pressure, due to an oil leak on the Cam Angle Sensor). These iStop starts are combustion assisted, so aren't really putting much stress on the starter... the crankshaft is taking the punishment here.

Also +1 to anchorman's comment. The iStop isn't some "EU red tape" to annoy you, it is there because oil is a finite resource, if every car were to stop burning it while idle we would save millions of barrels of oil every year, not to mention the emission reductions!
CX-3 Sport Nav Petrol Manual 120ps FWD Dynamic Blue, London England ;)
bloodline

Post by bloodline »

It has just dawned on me that iStop might actually work better with a Manual than it does with an Automatic... Since I can choose when the iStop comes on with the clutch, I never have the engine shut down if I can see I'm only going to be stopped for a second or so...
CX-3 Sport Nav Petrol Manual 120ps FWD Dynamic Blue, London England ;)
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

In an automatic, it's controlled by how hard you depress the brake pedal, so just as easy. ;)
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

bloodline wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:38 am iStop has been working exactly as advertised for me. Mostly only use the car only at weekends, saved 25miles.

I have no issue with "wear and tear", I still have a 26 year old Mk1 MX-5 running fine... and that engine ran for 6 months without any oil (Girl friend didn't notice the lack of oil pressure, due to an oil leak on the Cam Angle Sensor). These iStop starts are combustion assisted, so aren't really putting much stress on the starter... the crankshaft is taking the punishment here.

Also +1 to anchorman's comment. The iStop isn't some "EU red tape" to annoy you, it is there because oil is a finite resource, if every car were to stop burning it while idle we would save millions of barrels of oil every year, not to mention the emission reductions!

I hope mine is not burning oil or it's going back to the dealer. ;)

Some people like iStop some don't. Each to they're own. Personally I think iStop is a pain in the backside, and I try and remember to turn it off each time.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/new- ... r-s-engine
SINCE FEB 2018 I NO LONGER OWN VEHICLE
CX-3 Sport Nav - 2.0L Petrol - 2017 - Manual - 2WD - Eternal Blue Metallic - Half Leather - 44.3mpg on a good day down hill with a strong wind behind 😎