Air Con fail and fix

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

bellissimo wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:17 am
Philmac wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:09 pm Just seen sales of Mazda CX3''s down by 28%........
Where did you see this?
Probably here. http://thenewswheel.com/mazda-sales-up- ... r-of-2017/
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED

bellissimo

Post by bellissimo »

This page suggests that sales are up for May and June, for Europe at least. No idea how reliable these figures are though.

http://carsalesbase.com/european-car-sa ... azda-cx-3/
Deano

Post by Deano »

"Yes it is a shame as there is no problem with the 2017 models. but that's the way life is, nobody remembers the many good things you've done only the few bad things. Mazda took their eye off the ball and didn't quality check their suppliers properly, so now they pay the consequences."

Mine is a 2017 GT Sport and unfortunately the VIN falls within the range where issues may be identified with the air con losing gas as seen on the relevant TSB. Mentioned this at the time of purchase as I already knew of the issue as was told if the issue arrises then bring it back. Didn't say I would have to wait an average of 8 weeks! I agree with other owners, Mazda should do a recall. Probably won't as it looks bad for the company...
2017 CX-3 GT Sport, manual, Meteor Grey Mica :)
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

Deano wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:59 pm "Yes it is a shame as there is no problem with the 2017 models. but that's the way life is, nobody remembers the many good things you've done only the few bad things. Mazda took their eye off the ball and didn't quality check their suppliers properly, so now they pay the consequences."

Mine is a 2017 GT Sport and unfortunately the VIN falls within the range where issues may be identified with the air con losing gas as seen on the relevant TSB. Mentioned this at the time of purchase as I already knew of the issue as was told if the issue arrises then bring it back. Didn't say I would have to wait an average of 8 weeks! I agree with other owners, Mazda should do a recall. Probably won't as it looks bad for the company...
Unfortunately, the recall system only covers safety related defects. This is from the Uk VOSA site :-

"What is the safety recall scheme?
The safety recall scheme is the means by which manufacturers, producers and suppliers in the automotive sector recall products that may have a safety defect, as defined by the Codes of Practice.

What constitutes a safety recall?
A Safety Recall is the action taken when a defect is identified, which meets the definition of a safety defect, that could result in a risk of serious injury. The definition of a safety defect is contained in the Codes of Practice, which can be obtained from the Gov.uk website."

So Mazda, like other manufacturers, will never formerly issue a recall for a convenience related problem like faults in the air conditioning system. However, they could do a lot more is notifying owners with vehicles where the VIN is in the potentially affected range, apologising for the problem(s), notifying owners of what to look out for and suggesting they book their car in for checking if they have any suspicion of a problem. They should also do far far more in fixing the supply of revised condensors / evaporators / control units and getting them shipped or air freighted to their various distribution centres.

Waiting 2 months for replacement units during the summer period is unacceptable. It could be argued fitting replacement units which are still the original potentially faulty type is even worse!
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
Philmac

Post by Philmac »

Hi all just an update on my car air con not working. Mazda had it again for 2 days this week. They have said they have found a small leak on the evaporator. So has to go back in to have a new one fitted. The whole dashboard has to come out to gain access, hope they put it back together again OK. The good news (if there is any in this whole sorry saga) is the evaporator is available in a few days. Will keep you updated.
CX3 Sports Nav Auto Mica Jet Black 2 ltr Petrol September 2016
Deleted User 155

Post by Deleted User 155 »

Philmac wrote: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:02 pm Hi all just an update on my car air con not working. Mazda had it again for 2 days this week. They have said they have found a small leak on the evaporator. So has to go back in to have a new one fitted. The whole dashboard has to come out to gain access, hope they put it back together again OK. The good news (if there is any in this whole sorry saga) is the evaporator is available in a few days. Will keep you updated.
Yes, please keep us posted.... mine goes in next Tuesday for the second aircon-down, fingers crossed it's an easy fix! :|
jaylangton86

Post by jaylangton86 »

Mines been for first service today and air conditioning literally stopped working a few days ago. Had a call back earlier to say condenser is leaking, been ordered and will need car back in two days for repair.

I've not fetched the car yet but will grill them over some of the lead times stated in these posts.
2016 CX-3 Sport Nav 2.0 Petrol 2wd Dynamic Blue
Deano

Post by Deano »

Hi .
It would be good to know at what stage did other owners take their CX-3 to the garage due to the air con issues.
Unfortunately the VIN on my 6 week old GT Sport falls into the range that may be affected on the last Condenser TSB.
I am thinking of taking it to get looked at because as it stands now when the air con is on and set to 15 degs it is cold but not very cold like I've had on previous cars. It still works and has not failed altogether and neither can I see refrigerant leaking from the condenser. So should they still replace parts?
When the air con is not on the car is baking hot even with the temp at 15 degs, turn it up a bit and warm air comes out. I see there was another TSB for that.

So do the garages replace the condenser first and go from there or should they go for the lot? Evaporator, control unit and condenser?
I spoke to Mazda UK and they are air freighting the parts over and there is not so much of a backlog apparently.
I'll book it in and go from there.
Any info is much appreciated

Deano
2017 CX-3 GT Sport, manual, Meteor Grey Mica :)
Gus

Post by Gus »

They will always do the condensor first as it is easy to get to so the labour costs are lower, bear in mind the control panel has a different range of VIN's plus there is a separate test to run before they will replace, all is detailed in the TSB, I doubt that they would do the lot in one go.
CX-3, Sport Nav, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather, Sep 2015 to Sep 2018.
CX-5, Sport Nav+, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Crystal Metallic, Sep 2018.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

The dealer has to photograph the condenser to show the dark patches where the refrigerant has leaked for a warranty claim on it to be honoured.

If the condenser and/or evaporator is faulty they are unlikely to order a replacement control panel until the other part/s is/are replaced and the system is tested to see if the symptoms remain, as the TSB for the control panel states "... and there is no apparent problem with the air conditioner system..."
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd