Air Con fail and fix

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
bellissimo

Post by bellissimo »

Better than nothing, and least you were due I reckon after all that trouble.

I now have a cracked windscreen to add to my broken condenser (another known issue with the thin glass they use apparently, no obvious reason for crack). Of course, Autoglass are struggling to source a replacement, been waiting two weeks for Mazda to supply :roll:

bellissimo

Post by bellissimo »

Just some closure, but finally had my new condenser fitted, a full 4 months after the part was ordered. At least it seems to be working.
Quoman

Post by Quoman »

Mine is going in next Wednesday as I have the same issue as you, not very impresssed as I only noticed this 4 days after picking it up from an authorised Mazda dealer and the car is supposed to be an Approved Used Car.
Last edited by Quoman on Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2016 2.0 Sport Nav Manual, Titanium Mica
bellissimo

Post by bellissimo »

The guy in the Mazda garage said that about 1 in 2 cars fitted with this version of the condenser are having failures. They are obviously not fir for purpose and could have failed since you bought it.
Peter55

Post by Peter55 »

Seems strange resurrecting this thread with the ‘beast from the east’ about to reek havoc, but during a very brief moment of sunshine last week my air con let me down

Spoke to dealer, who was very helpful and honest about the issue, taking it in for inspection so the can order what it needs.

Two years old, I’m almost glad it’s let me down so I can now get it fixed under warranty
Sport Nav Petrol Auto Dynamic Blue
Armrest
Front Sensors
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

Peter55 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:57 pm Seems strange resurrecting this thread with the ‘beast from the east’ about to reek havoc, but during a very brief moment of sunshine last week my air con let me down

Spoke to dealer, who was very helpful and honest about the issue, taking it in for inspection so the can order what it needs.

Two years old, I’m almost glad it’s let me down so I can now get it fixed under warranty
My condenser replaced last May, or some other part(s) of the air con system, are on the blink again. I noticed it last week when sun was out and the only way I could get some cold air through the vents was on the lowest setting when it sent freezing cold air out. Just turning it one setting above the minimum caused warm air to come out of the vents. So it will be a trip to the dealer again soon :( Hopefully they now are holding stocks of parts and it's not a further delay waiting for parts from Japan.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
bellissimo

Post by bellissimo »

Same here. Condenser replaced, but air con failed again a few weeks later. Similar symptoms with 'coolish' air on the lowest setting and then warm air on all other settings. Didn't have the heart to send it straight back to the dealers after waiting 4 months for the condenser fix, so will wait till it warms up a little just to confirm it is definitely broken, then take it in so hopefully it is fixed before the summer.
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

st3v3cx-3 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:38 pm
Peter55 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:57 pm Seems strange resurrecting this thread with the ‘beast from the east’ about to reek havoc, but during a very brief moment of sunshine last week my air con let me down

My condenser replaced last May, or some other part(s) of the air con system, are on the blink again. I noticed it last week when sun was out and the only way I could get some cold air through the vents was on the lowest setting when it sent freezing cold air out. Just turning it one setting above the minimum caused warm air to come out of the vents. So it will be a trip to the dealer again soon :( Hopefully they now are holding stocks of parts and it's not a further delay waiting for parts from Japan.
I don't think that is a problem with the air con, it's a problem with the heating design. It would appear that there is an external ambient sensor that alters the set point or calibration of the controls when ambient temperature is 10 degrees or below. Mine has been back to the dealer and they have done something that has improved it, but it's not perfect. As you say, turn the dial up one notch from the lowest setting and it gets too hot. This doesn't happen with my MX5 and it is a known design fault on the CX3.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Strangways wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:55 am
st3v3cx-3 wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:38 pm

I don't think that is a problem with the air con, it's a problem with the heating design. It would appear that there is an external ambient sensor that alters the set point or calibration of the controls when ambient temperature is 10 degrees or below. Mine has been back to the dealer and they have done something that has improved it, but it's not perfect. As you say, turn the dial up one notch from the lowest setting and it gets too hot. This doesn't happen with my MX5 and it is a known design fault on the CX3.

Isn't this the subject of the TSB mentioned here: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=964#p4748 ?
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

That was my suspicion back in April 2017 when I took my car in for the air-con to be investigated. I did show them a copy of that TSB, plus another one about the potentially faulty condensers. They ended up just replacing the faulty condenser and all seemed fine - probably due to the ambient temperature being fine at that point in the year. So it looks like now the cold weather is here it is the temperature control dial that is still faulty and I'll be taking my car to the dealer for investigation in the next week or so.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016