Mazda recalls 2.2 million cars over tailgate issue

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
davidrew

Post by davidrew »

Looks like our CX-3's are going to need a fix:

Japanese carmaker Mazda has said it is recalling 2.2 million cars worldwide because of a defect in their tailgates.

The recall affects about 400,000 cars in Japan and 1.8 million sold on export markets.

The cause of the recall is paint having been wrongly applied to the tailgate, which could lead to corrosion. The issue has not led to any injuries or accidents.

Six models are affected, including the Mazda 3 and the CX-3 SUV.

The vehicles in question were produced between December 2007 and 2015.

In addition, the carmaker recalled another 110,000 cars sold domestically because of a computer issue with their diesel engines.

Mazda is Japan's fifth largest carmaker.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-37241728
CX-3 Sport Nav Petrol 2.0 in Soul Red

anchorman

Post by anchorman »

Just a paint thickness issue. Glad Mazda have stood up to the plate. TSB attached.......
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Whilst cleaning my car, I’ve noiced one of these blisters, exactly where marks in the attached TSB. 😩

Has anyone else experienced this? What was the outcome?
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

I would have assumed the cars involved would have already been recalled?
What year is your CX3 Greenman?
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Built in late 2015...
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

Do we know the VIN number range of the CX-3's affected?
Mine was registered new in July 2016, so do I need to mention it when booking the second annual service?
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Mine was May 2016 so could also be affected.

Does anyone have any notes on their 'MyMazda' app for the recall? Mine doesn't - not that really means much?!
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

It's not a recall.
From the TSB (although I note it's for CX-5 not CX-3):
"When you receive a customer complaint on this concern, repair it by ordinary paint rust/blister damage repair procedure." under warranty.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

As jtonline correctly states, this paint problem was not a recall issue and shouldn't have affected the CX-3 model - the TSB says it covers only the CX-5 and 3 models. There have been 2 recalls affecting the CX-3, covering 1) water penetrating the tailgate cylinder, causing corrosion which may affect the struts attachment and subsequent tailgate drop without warning and 2) brake hose retaining clip may fail due to possible corrosion. Check out this site for further details, including the build dates and VIN numbers involved :-

http://www.dft.gov.uk/vosa/apps/recalls/
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
TEB

Post by TEB »

Had corrosion around the rear number plate lights & reversing camera treated shortly after I purchased my then four year old 68 plate, which the dealer undertook as a goodwill gesture, Mazda UK were apparently not interested with the car being outside the three year paint warranty, despite a full Mazda service history.

Now noticed a couple of small spots appearing on the roof, which is lifting the paint in a tree root pattern, possibly from stone chips, but if so they are so small I cannot see them with the naked eye. Not seen this on a car since the early 90's.

Have put a small dab of touch up in the centres of each spot with the hope of no further corrosion spread, don't fancy a roof respray, plus it doesn't bode well for the rest of the car with two different panels now being affected.
2018/68 CX-3 150ps AWD Sport Nav +, Machine Grey, Manual