Handling Deteriorating (and getting worse)

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
GeeJam

Post by GeeJam »

We bought our CX-3 last October. Apart from the excellent customer care of the sales team, the cars aesthetic design, its grunt, its toys, etc., we chose the CX-3 for its dynamic sport handling when compared to other compact SUV competitors. It has been a real joy to drive. Until now.

In June, we began to notice a 'shimmying' or twitching' when negotiating right hand bends. This sudden lateral movement also became noticeable on straight undulating dual-carriageways - and it sometimes felt like you were driving on glass. 5-weeks have passed since our dealer diagnosed a 'slight' hydraulic fluid leak on the rear shocks and it goes in to have the shocks replaced under warranty next week.

I note that a similar thread on this forum (search 'handling') also reports a similar suspension set-up problem.

So, if you're a new CX-3 owner, get your shocks checked before winter sets in - as (to an inexperienced driver), trying to correct the steering when the car lurches sideways when you're least expecting it, could be potentially lethal.

I'll leave the strange 'darkening of bumpers' compared to the paintwork colour of the rest of the car for another post - as this is the least of our worries at the moment.
CX-3 Sport Nav 2.0L Petrol. Manual. Soul Red & Half Stone interior. From new Sept 2015. South Lincolnshire UK.

Deleted User 406

Post by Deleted User 406 »

I have found the back gets a bit twitchy in the wet on right hand bends/turns
GeeJam

Post by GeeJam »

Hi Rockposer. The helpful service department at our Mazda dealers (Donald's Group @ Stamford) admits they have had to replace the shocks on one other CX-3 already. Could be a universal fault - so get yours checked.

Incidentally, our car has clocked just over 7,000 miles since we bought it last October.

The 'shimmying' occurs even on perfectly dry roads. Recently, we travelled on the Ipswich section of the A12 towards the Orwell Bridge. The concrete surface (not Tarmac) has been laid using the back-and-forth shuttle system. This creates lateral surface ridges and excessive tyre noise. At speed, our CX-3 was difficult to keep in a straight line.
CX-3 Sport Nav 2.0L Petrol. Manual. Soul Red & Half Stone interior. From new Sept 2015. South Lincolnshire UK.
Deleted User 155

Post by Deleted User 155 »

...thanks for the heads up - I'll watch out for that, mine was bought last September and done just over 8,000 miles.
GeeJam

Post by GeeJam »

An update: Both rear shocks replaced under warranty yesterday. Our CX-3 now handles the same as it did before June. No more lateral 'shimmying' or 'twitching'. Sorted. It's now a joy to drive it again.
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

Excellent news. I guess you were just very very unlucky and your car had been fitted with faulty rear shock absorbers. Enjoy the concrete surface on the A12 nr the Orwell bridge now, along with other undulating dual carriageways and various right hand bends.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
Deleted User 155

Post by Deleted User 155 »

Result Geejam! Glad you got it sorted.