Automatic Vs manual

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Gordongilchrist

Post by Gordongilchrist »

goldhillman wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:33 am Do you have the arm rest? Is it usable?
Im twiddling me thumbs waiting delivery! Gona see how I get on without arm rest first. Looks like there's a bit of a lack of cubby holes for stuff tho. N other than glove box no hidden places either. A bit disappointing tbh.
2017 Mazda CX-3 sport nav 2WD Automatic 120 petrol in white :)

TINO

Post by TINO »

Wife has the manual, that's what she wanted.
I went for the Auto sport, after a year I would not go back to a manual.
But wife loves her SL , nicer ride than my sport.

But find the Auto better mpg than the manual. :o
The middle of the road is a dangerous place, you have to take sides. :)
SOMERS

Post by SOMERS »

Tino
I bet that you are washing and waxing two cars. Have fun !
Advice ::: Don't complain, or you will be doing the laundry.

You mensioned " the middle of the road"
May i say "always look for a means of escape".
ptirving

Post by ptirving »

shame the adaptive cruise isn't available in the uk
Was GT Sport 2.0 Petrol Auto Meteor Grey 39mpg round the doors 46mpg on a run
Now 2019 Mazda 3 2.0 petrol auto Meteor Grey
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

Although I have been the harshest critic of the CX-3's noisy unforgiving ride (allegedly improved on the face-lifted model) the automatic transmission is the best that I have ever used. At the last service I was loaned a manual CX-3, and after just a few minutes in stop start traffic I could not wait to get back behind the wheel of my automatic.

The manual gearbox and friction clutch should be consigned to motoring history, along with carburettors and drum brakes.
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.
SOMERS

Post by SOMERS »

Has anybody done an article on the vraied uses of the CX3 three in one gearbox ?
If so where can i find it ?
Thank you
Somers CX3 AUTO

image.png

image.png

image.png

SOMERS

Post by SOMERS »

The decision you make regarding the type of gear box depends on , the amount of trafic , the number of hills ; corners and where you live and personal preference, for me today there was no choice, automatic had to be at the top of my list for all of the above .

Many years ago I owned a Ford Capri I was young and itching to go fast.

Back then , i converted the Ford Capri into a mussel car, every thing was white except the glass and tires , was I the first to have painted bumpers ? i will never know !

The thing was so hot,the brakes would not hold it ,it had a stick shift great for Saturday night drag racing, the down side was the clutch they dont last for ever .

Through the week there was the daily rat race commute and I wished I had an automatic ,the CX3 is all of that and more.
The moral to this stiory is. " You make your bed you lay in it".

Somers CX3 Soul red
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

I have had many different cars, some manual, some auto. I love driving, I love using the gears, I want to be in the gear I choose and change when I want to change. That's part of the enjoyment of driving. Having said that I do have my MX5 for that purpose, so maybe, as I am now 70 years old, I will give consideration to replacing my CX3 with an auto next time around. Auto gearboxes have improved over the years and as long as I have the MX5 I will always have the choice.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

I am over 70 and have driven cars with most types of transmission.
Manual "crash" (1927 Packard), manual with synchromesh, manual with freewheel (1955 Rover), pre-selector (1952 Daimler), semi-automatic (Triumph Acclaim), CVT (Nissan Micra) and torque converter fully automatic.
I would still like to try a Model T Ford's pedal operated epicyclic transmission, just out of curiosity, but for driving on today's overcrowded roads it's automatic for me every time.
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

zoylander wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:09 pm I am over 70 and have driven cars with most types of transmission.
Manual "crash" (1927 Packard), manual with synchromesh, manual with freewheel (1955 Rover), pre-selector (1952 Daimler), semi-automatic (Triumph Acclaim), CVT (Nissan Micra) and torque converter fully automatic.
I would still like to try a Model T Ford's pedal operated epicyclic transmission, just out of curiosity, but for driving on today's overcrowded roads it's automatic for me every time.
I cannot believe all the roads in Somerset are overcrowded! I find plenty of roads in Kent that give me the opportunity to carry out some spirited driving. Even at 70 I love to put my foot down now and again and feel the adrenaline flow through the veins.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED