Automatic Vs manual

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
Gordongilchrist

Post by Gordongilchrist »

Maybe you could advise me. Does the sport have flappy paddles for auto as standard? I didn't notice em on the mx5 I tried (it wasn't a sport). But see it listed on the Mazda UK site spec for march 2015 (i think I was), along with auto gold wing mirrors. I'm so excited! Why do new cars do this to me.
2017 Mazda CX-3 sport nav 2WD Automatic 120 petrol in white :)

GeeJam

Post by GeeJam »

Looks like a drag race is called for . . . .

Straight quarter. Auto v's Manual. Any takers?
CX-3 Sport Nav 2.0L Petrol. Manual. Soul Red & Half Stone interior. From new Sept 2015. South Lincolnshire UK.
Deleted User 155

Post by Deleted User 155 »

Gordongilchrist wrote:Maybe you could advise me. Does the sport have flappy paddles for auto as standard? I didn't notice em on the mx5 I tried (it wasn't a sport). But see it listed on the Mazda UK site spec for march 2015 (i think I was), along with auto gold wing mirrors. I'm so excited! Why do new cars do this to me.
Yes it does! There are 3 ways to change gear in the auto! It's a fantastic auto box. :D
santa

Post by santa »

Totally agree, it's a great auto box.
I have to admit, that I very rarely use the flappy paddles (if I do, it's still in auto mode and I just change up a gear, when I think it's hanging on a bit too long in a gear).
95-99% of the time it's in full auto, rest of the time it's still in full auto but flipped to "SPORT" mode.
Mazda CX-30 2.0 150HP Aut. Cosmo w. Tech Pack in Arctic White, 2023.
Gordongilchrist

lol i think we will have to do the drag race comparison by video conference. Should be fun :D (for the manual anyway) n relaxed for me? lol

Thanks for confirming about the flappy paddles in standard sport model trim. Sounds cool for doing just what you do. ie to occasionally upshift or downshift to suit. It would be to much trouble with the lever for one gear for a slightly earlier change.
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

The great thing about the flappy paddles is that you can use them to temporarily change up or down without first moving the gear lever from D into M mode. It returns to automatic shift D mode when the right hand UP switch (+/OFF) is pulled toward you (ignore the manual saying paddles are pulled rearward, it's obviously translation errors lol) for a sufficient amount of time or after some seconds on not using the paddles - not sure how long that is. Full details of the automatic transmission functions are in sections 4-47 to 4-57 of the Owner's Manual. I'd recommend you check out and download the manuals available via this Mazda UK page :-

https://www.mazda.co.uk/buying-owning/p ... d-manuals/

The almost 700 pages of the Owner's Manual and around 100 pages in the Navigation Manual will help the time fly by till your new car arrives :) The mere 27 pages of the Quick Guide are well worth printing off.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
goldhillman

Post by goldhillman »

I've had my Sport Nav petrol since May and have, on the whole, really enjoyed it but I really miss having an auto box. Reading what others are saying here about how good the auto version is has only compounded my regret. Looks like I'll have to learn to love it though as I would take such a hit to sell or trade in now and the auto is much more expensive. I also wish there was a better solution to the armrest problem as I miss the comfort of that on longer journeys but the interference with the handbrake puts me off. Hey ho, maybe next time.
CX-3, Sport Nav, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Stone Leather, March 2017.
Gordongilchrist

I agonised over the choice tbh.

Manual is so good to use, soo tactile. Auto sounds pretty good to with little penalty. Bit scared of the complexed workings giving problems tho.

But I'm so lazy. thought I'd regret not going auto, in long run n that won the day.
goldhillman

Post by goldhillman »

Do you have the arm rest? Is it usable?
CX-3, Sport Nav, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Stone Leather, March 2017.
Deleted User 406

Post by Deleted User 406 »

I've got the armrest and it doesn't get in the way of anything for me personally. I know those colonials have a moan as it blocks their precious cup holders :lol: