Automatic Vs manual

Faults and Technical chat for the Mazda CX-3
SOMERS

Post by SOMERS »

I have noticed the the CX3 when in automatic drive sometimesthe gearbox gets confuZZZZZZed.

( I know that the car is not a person or is it ? )

The reason for this situation is that the gearbox has 6 selective gears, another reason is the the vehicle does not know and can not anticipate the road ahead, "eg: an up hill corner" this is where driver interaction is required, as you can not expect the vehicle in automatic drive always to be in the right gear at the right time or even anticipate the road ahead either up hill or down hill and some corners, not to mension you may have pasengers on board.

Under certain conditions and In order to accomatate the CX 3 gearbox, shift the gear leaver over to manual and then get on the paddles.
AND
Keep a strict eye on the rev counter and be aware of the engine power band required, most likely you will find 3 rd gear at around 2,000 rpm to be ideal for most situations , if so! let that be "your zero" and work from there, dependant on where you live 4 gear may be your better" zero option" again 2,000 RPM should be your minimum to prevent engine labouring.
Over reving the engine is counter productive.
Conversely, I find that the car used less petrol with increased RPM.

Hey checked your tires recently.

Enjoy .
Somers CX3 auto soul red

Don Rose

Post by Don Rose »

Auto is ace and sport mode flappy paddles gone from Honda s200 to cx3 different beasties but Mazda more refined and smooth (more sensible and better for the spine )
Wass

Post by Wass »

My wife only passed her auto testand not a manual test so we both drive autos. I drive an auto because its useful for her to be able to drive my car and also because I noticed many years ago that the roads were becoming very congested such that the negligable lack of acceleration of an auto vs manual ceases to be of signiciance when you spend your time stuck in traffic. My other car has a dct which changes gear quicker than a manual and is also more economical. The CX3 is auto and although it is a DCT, its a pleasure to drive just so long as its driven with a degree of respect. The CX3 isnt one for trying to break the land speed record and will only cause embarrassment if driven in that manner. Keeping away from wheelspin, staying within speed limits, the gearbox transfers between the rations very easily and smoothly whilst keeping up with the flow of traffic. This is the second 2 litre petrol auto Mazda in our household, the first being our Mazda6 2 litre auto. Another very competent and reliable car but alas a bugger to find a parking space which didnt result in getting a dent from neighbouring cars opening their doors onto it. The mazda auto boxes in both our mazdas has been trouble free ,and reliable even if it is "old tech" .Is the auto better than the manual? For us..... yes. We dont tow and we rarely pull a full load.
2018 CX-3 SE-L NAV 2l auto fwd,white
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

Wass wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:32 pm My wife only passed her auto testand not a manual test so we both drive autos. I drive an auto because its useful for her to be able to drive my car and also because I noticed many years ago that the roads were becoming very congested such that the negligable lack of acceleration of an auto vs manual ceases to be of signiciance when you spend your time stuck in traffic. My other car has a dct which changes gear quicker than a manual and is also more economical. The CX3 is auto and although it is a DCT, its a pleasure to drive just so long as its driven with a degree of respect. The CX3 isnt one for trying to break the land speed record and will only cause embarrassment if driven in that manner. Keeping away from wheelspin, staying within speed limits, the gearbox transfers between the rations very easily and smoothly whilst keeping up with the flow of traffic. This is the second 2 litre petrol auto Mazda in our household, the first being our Mazda6 2 litre auto. Another very competent and reliable car but alas a bugger to find a parking space which didnt result in getting a dent from neighbouring cars opening their doors onto it. The mazda auto boxes in both our mazdas has been trouble free ,and reliable even if it is "old tech" .Is the auto better than the manual? For us..... yes. We dont tow and we rarely pull a full load.

Sorry to point out the automatic in the CX-3 isn't a DCT, it is a torque converter type with a lock-up clutch that locks the torque converter's turbine to the impeller to improve fuel economy and direct drive feel. For more information check out https://www.mazda.com/en/innovation/tec ... tiv-drive/
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
Wass

Post by Wass »

Yes I knew , it was my typo.. age!
Wass

Post by Wass »

I found that economy is hardly different between auto and manual for some road use . I use our car mostly on dual carriageways and motorways for 100 mile journeys. I travel at about lorry speed so as not to get in their way and ensure they dont get in my way. So the only reasons I have for not travelling at 56 to 60mph are traffic jams, caravans and tractors . Both the auto and manual versions will happily return 50MPG real ( not what the 53 which the computer claims). We bought the auto because its easier. Town driving sees the fuel consumption drop to 30MPG or less. This is because of buses, bicycles, council fuel wasters( traffic lights programmed to stop moving traffic on deserted roads) and 20mph limits imposed by councils who dont understand that speeders who do 40 in a 30 limit will just as easily do 40 in a 20 limit once they understand where the cameras are.