Hello from North Lincs

New to the CX3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
HumberMart

Post by HumberMart »

Hi, I'm Martyn from North Lincolnshire, and just about to buy my first Mazda after years of German cars.

Following buying a Honda moped in the 70's, I became a big Honda fan and had numerous of their cars over the following 20 years. However (to me) Honda lost their way (as in F1 at the moment!), too many cheap plastics and none of the class leading tech and dynamics that they evolved with. So I went through a BMW, Audi, and Merc phase (in that order).

More recently I've become a bit of a VW fan, having wanted to stop losing £10K a year on Merc depreciation, and enjoyed a Polo GTI, Golf GTD, and currently a Touareg R-lIne 262 in the last couple of years.

I've flirted with Mazda before, coming close at times to buying an RX-8, MX-5, and CX-5, but never quite managed it.

My wife and I have generally had a third car to share, and have been through TT's, Z4's, SLK's, with the Chrysler Crossfire being a favorite of Mrs HM's. Now we're getting a little old for small two seaters, and the 3 year old granddaughter won't fit in them anyway, so wanted something small, interesting, and classy.

After much research, settled on the CX-3 GT Sport (auto) to share and have room for the 3 year old. Shame no soul red, but the ceramic looks ok. Hopefully it will arrive in 2-3 weeks.

The amount of kit is amazing (although considering adding the armrest - unsure about from sensors). I'm sure if it was possible to spec up say a Merc GLA to similar spec, it would be more than double the price of the CX-3 (and still a worse drive!).

I must admit it was the large discount that closed the deal, seemed unbelievable on a new model year, limited edition, car. The press claim they are over-priced in comparison to the competition (is there any? !) so maybe that's forced Mazda's hand.
CX-3 GT Sport Auto (2.0 petrol 120 2WD) in Ceramic

anchorman

Post by anchorman »

Welcome Martyn.

You can go and get your own, they come ashore at Killingholme!
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
Deleted User 406

Post by Deleted User 406 »

Welcome to the forum
HumberMart

Post by HumberMart »

Thanks anchorman and rockposer.

Typical, it will be passing my house (almost) on the 3 to 4 hour slog down to Norfolk, only for me to follow a week or so later to collect!
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

Hi Martyn, welcome to the forum. I'm sure you will enjoy the CX-3, it's a firm ride, but great fun to drive.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Welcome to the forums.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Derbro

Post by Derbro »

Hello and Welcome.
Ceramic Metalic Sports Nav 2litre petrol Auto 2017
tyrfelin

Post by tyrfelin »

You'll love it Martyn!! ☺
Sport Nav 2.0 Snowflake White
HumberMart

Post by HumberMart »

Collected the new GT Sport auto from Norwich yesterday evening.

The combination of everyone going on holiday that day (it seemed!), and hundreds on very slow traffic lights in Norwich, made the trip a bit frustrating, but once I got through Boston, then Horncastle, I managed to finally 'try it out' properly on the road up to Caistor (shame I couldn't have done a lap of Cadwell Park as I passed close by!

First impressions so far:-

Good - that Ceramic colour is really interesting and suits the CX-3
The petrol/auto/2wd is well suited. It can sound a bit gruff for a petrol, but sporty enough. Sport mode does make such a difference, and it even auto changes up when braking!
Arm rest option works well.
The handling/steering is very good, and the ride becomes much more purposeful at speed.
Bose sound is probably the feature I'd miss most if it wasn't there.
Driving position generally good, though not much space behind my seat with it set for me. The left knee pad is perhaps a touch too prominent though.
50 mpg shown for the 140 mile trip, well pleased with that!
No rattles or creaks so far :)

Less Good - I do find some aspects of the trim cheap and tacky, now I've become more familiar with them (despite the nappa leather upgrades)
Some of the tech and digital displays remind me of earlier generations of cheaper cars from Japan/Korea. They've done wonders with the CX-5 interior quality with the 2017/18 upgrade, but perhaps the CX-3 will have to wait until next year for a similar step change in interior quality.

No auto door locking when driving away.

So overall, well pleased with the way it drives and looks, but slightly disappointed with the interior.