New member from Shropshire.

New to the CX3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Bobc

Post by Bobc »

Hi, I am Bob, from North Shropshire.
We got our nearly new (mid 2017, 4000 miles) CX-3 a couple of weeks ago, and I am very pleased with it. It is a 1.5D SPORT NAV, AWD, 6 speed manual, in black mica. The only extra I ordered was a proper spare wheel.
I joined this forum after a few visits as a guest, and I think it will be very useful - the other members all seem very friendly, and I have already learnt a few things from various posts.
I only have two concerns so far, although they are minor problems compared with the pleasure in driving it so far. The first one is the difficulty of seeing the front of the car when parking, (the back is fine with the reversing camera of course). Our previous car was a Rover 75 tourer, which was much longer than the Mazda, but from the driving seat I could see all four corners. I am seriously considering having front sensors fitted when it goes in for its first service, although they are a little expensive. The other concern is the tyres as fitted from new, which are 215/50 R18 TOYO PROXES R40. I find that the grip, even on wet rather than icy conditions, is not quite what I had expected - they are after all only 4000 miles old. I had Michelin Cross Climate on the Rover, which I found to be a dramatic improvement, and was planning to fit them to the Mazda when it needs new tyres, but at the moment they are not available in the size I need. In fact, the choice of tyres in the size for the CX-3 are quite limited. Hopefully by the time I need new ones this might improve.
Anyway, I must go and do a bit more driving, which is what we got it for.

Bob.
CX-3 Sport Nav, May 2017, 1.5d, manual , AWD, jet black pearl.

Strangways

Post by Strangways »

Hi Bob and welcome to the forum.
Glad you are enjoying you're CX-3. I know what you mean about the TOYO Proxes. I use them on my MX5 and although the grip isn't the best they are very predictable and controllable. Great fun with the rear wheel drive on the MX5, but not ideal on the CX-3.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
Gus

Post by Gus »

Greetings Bob, the factory fit tyres are as hard as nails, I think I have just turned 27k miles and I have more tread on them now than when new..... if you are in the mind to change them they may possibly reduce road noise and certainly improve the grip but if you wait for them to wear down you may have a long wait :D

Which begs the question has anyone changed the factory fit tyres due to wear yet?
CX-3, Sport Nav, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather, Sep 2015 to Sep 2018.
CX-5, Sport Nav+, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Crystal Metallic, Sep 2018.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Welcome to the forums, Bob.

I haven't had any problems with the Toyo Proxes, even in the recent cold weather despite them being a summer tyre.

Fronts were replaced early due to punctures, not wear :)
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

Hi Bob
Like jt I haven't had any problems with the tyres.
I know it's obvious, but are the pressures correct?
New cars are shipped well over pressured for the delivery journey. I am aware from your post that it is nearly new but worth checking.
Great little cars though.
Andy
Car sold - but still following Mazda.
Bobc

Post by Bobc »

Thanks to all for your replies. I will certainly check tyre pressures - it was checked over by the garage before I took it, so they might be wrong. Otherwise I will leave it for the summer, and review the situation before next winter.
Still having fun driving it.

Bob.
CX-3 Sport Nav, May 2017, 1.5d, manual , AWD, jet black pearl.
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

Welcome to the forum Bob and congratulations on your purchase. Good to hear you're enjoying driving it and having fun. I do whenever I get in mine.

Re tyres, if you do a lot of winter driving in wet and icy conditions you might want to consider the purchase of a set of cheap 16" steels wheels and the appropriate size winter tyres. There are far more manufactures tyres available for 16" diameter rims, including Michelin Cross Climate+ 215/60 R16 as shown on sites such as :-

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tyre-finder/s= ... 215-60-r16

Cheap basic 16" steel wheels are available from sites such as :-

https://www.oponeo.co.uk/steel-wheels-finder
https://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/skw.p ... gan=felgen

Personally I've not had any troubles with the Toyo Proxes but admittedly the vast majority of my driving is in dryer warmer weather than the cold and snowy / icy spell we've had recently so I've not needed to consider purchasing a set of winter tyres and wheels.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
tyrfelin

Post by tyrfelin »

Welcome Bob from another Bob!!😀
Sport Nav 2.0 Snowflake White