Newbie has issues with heated steering wheel

New to the CX3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Ghdarwen

Post by Ghdarwen »

Hi
Just bought a CX3 sport nav in soul red. Really pleased with the drive, ride and quietness of it but not the heated steering wheel. Mine seems to come on for 5 minutes and then go off for 5 minutes and so on until it times out at 30 minutes. Salesman said it should come on and stay warm for up to 30 minutes. Only the garage says it works fine when I took it back. I fitted a Nextbase dashcam using wiring kit so wondered if that might be an issue as I disconnected it for the workshop. Have tried it through the socket and it does not stay on so I am assuming its not some overload on the accessory outlet fuse thingy! Did try other fuse positions but they seem to be powered on all the time. Going back to dealership to argue with them is my next step. Why so bothered wife has Raynaud's disease.
While I'm here why does it only heat the middle bits my KIA ceed was much better heating all round. Also what's with the lights going off when you use the hand brake? Weird. Do not know whether I have made the best decision to change, only time will see.
2018 67 plate CX3 2.0 Sports Nav with Safety Pack in Soul Red

jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Hi.,

I can't help you with your heated steering wheel issues because I have the earlier model without that feature.

The Daytime Running Lights (DRL's) go off when the handbrake is applied. There is provision for that in the regulations, as the vehicle is not moving. The rear lights are not lit when the DRL's are. If you want front and rear lights lit at all times the ignition is on, you need to use sidelights or headlights.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Ghdarwen

Post by Ghdarwen »

Thanks for reply Jtonline, was aware about the DRL's through reading the handbook (I'm one of the few who does) just thought it was odd thing that's all.
Gus

Post by Gus »

I can guarantee that JT has read each and every page and cross referenced it all during those cold winter nights when he couldn’t go out as he gets cold hands :lol:
CX-3, Sport Nav, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather, Sep 2015 to Sep 2018.
CX-5, Sport Nav+, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Crystal Metallic, Sep 2018.
Deleted User 406

Post by Deleted User 406 »

Ghdarwen wrote: Wed Mar 21, 2018 12:26 pm Thanks for reply Jtonline, was aware about the DRL's through reading the handbook (I'm one of the few who does) just thought it was odd thing that's all.
It's very odd indeed
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

With regards to the heated steering wheel, mine works for about 30 minutes then turns off. I can turn it on again immediately if i wished but by then there is no need. Yes I agree the coverage is very limited to just the ten to two position. Mine is not affected by the handbrake.

Andy
Car sold - but still following Mazda.
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

Handy Andy wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:04 am With regards to the heated steering wheel, mine works for about 30 minutes then turns off. I can turn it on again immediately if i wished but by then there is no need. Yes I agree the coverage is very limited to just the ten to two position. Mine is not affected by the handbrake.

Andy
oppps ! misread the post. i thought you meant the heated steering wheel went off with the handbrake, I see you are referring to the DRLS. As JT says that is correct.
Car sold - but still following Mazda.
Ghdarwen

Post by Ghdarwen »

Thanks for your response Andy it is much clearer than Mazda UK who told me how to operate it and that it is a heated cable when I asked if it should stay on!!! Back to the dealer and argue or book it in again then possible rant at them - see me optimistic again.
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

It cones on for five or ten minutes then goes off again but it will warm up again every ten minutes or so within the 30 minute period. This is because the element would overheat the wheel and the clock spring if it stayed on permanently. I doubt you’ll find anybody at the dealer that knows how it works.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
Ghdarwen

Post by Ghdarwen »

Sorry anchorman but I can't accept that in this day Mazda don't know how to get it to heat and stay heated as handy andy says his does. KIA can do it so way can't Mazda. Be ok if it stayed on for 10 minutes as the wife would be at work by then.