CX3 2.0 sportnav auto just returned from 2nd service

New to the CX3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
belladee

Post by belladee »

Just got my 65 plate sportnav auto back from 2nd service, asked them to investigate why the battery icon in the economy section never lights up thus not allowing the i stop to work. Was told the battery was in good condition but was at a charge of below 75%, which apparently is the state of charge the battery needs to be. Was then told they couldn't charge it to try it because it can only be charged by a Mazda dealer because the battery is charged then put in a water bath overnight to allow it to settle, and stop the possibility of it exploding. Sounds like BBF (bafflem with bullshit). My question to them was if the battery isn't being charged to above 75% surely either the battery or alternator are at fault. My wife's Mazda 2 does all the same journeys as my Cx3 and the i-stop works perfectly.
Also when I asked them to check the economy, I average 36.2, was 42 mpg,
Was told it's the super market petrol, and also that I shouldn't use additives, I have always used redex in all my cars but apparently this shouldn't be used in the skyactive engine and could invalidate the warranty.
Apart from that what a great drivers car even in auto.

Feel alot better for that rant, glad of any feedback, I know other people have had i-stop problems
Cheers

Gus

Post by Gus »

Had mine on charge today as I hadn’t used if for a while, use a ctek 5 charger in AGM mode, loosened the plugs whilst on charge, now tight again as per the manual.
CX-3, Sport Nav, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather, Sep 2015 to Sep 2018.
CX-5, Sport Nav+, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Crystal Metallic, Sep 2018.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

You were informed correctly that if hooking the car up to the diagnostics computer shows that the battery has a less than 75% charge, the battery should be inspected and then recharged. The battery might not be able to reach full charge during normal day to day driving if journey times are short and there is a high demand from things like heater, headlights, infotainment, rear window demister, heated seats etc.

If a vehicle is brought into a Mazda dealer with an i-stop non operation condition, the technician can refer to a workshop manual document which details the Battery Condition Initial setting (i-stop setting) Procedure. If the battery negative cable has been disconnected and the diagnostics "BATT_SOC” value is displayed as “0%”, after re-connecting the battery cable, it is first necessary to leave the battery undisturbed for approx. 6 to 48 h to stabilize battery charge condition.

The battery isn't put in a water bath after charging. The Mazda recharge procedure is to check the battery level and top-up if necessary with distilled water so that the level is halfway between the upper and lower level marks on the battery casing. Then slow-charge with a constant current recharger for anything between 180 to 360 mins depending on measured electrolyte gravity at a current which is determined by the type of battery fitted.

I don't know about your fuel economy issue, but it does say in the Owner's Manual: "Never add fuel system additives, otherwise the emission control system could be damaged. Consult an expert repairer, we recommend an Authorised Mazda Repairer for details."
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd