CX3 Newbie

New to the CX3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
taylo63

Post by taylo63 »

Hi All.
Picked up my 2017 CX3 sport (jet black) approx 8 weeks ago. It was a pre-registered example with only 40 miles on the clock.
So far so good , but am a bit concerned about the gearbox. 1st to 2nd is very notchy and 4th to 5th was very hit and miss !
Took it back to the dealer, who took it for a test drive and said that Mazda gearboxes are “notchy” and I should leave it until it has done at least 2000 miles to allow the gearbox to bed in. Still only done 1300 miles to date. I’ll probably leave it until it’s first service (July) and mention it again then.
Anyone else have similar issue.?
I’ll post a photo once the weather is a bit more “spring like”

Thanks
2017 (17 plate) CX3 sport nav, petrol, manual, jet black.

Strangways

Post by Strangways »

I'm not saying that you don't have a problem with the gearbox, but when Mazda designed the first MX5 they decided to include a little bit of 'notchyness' (or whatever you call it) into the gearbox as part of the Jinba Ittai (horse and rider as one) experience. This design philosophy has continued and the CX-3 uses the same gearbox as the MX-5. So your dealer is probably right in saying leave it for a couple of thousand miles and see if it improves. I too bought a pre-registered model with 59 miles on the clock and saved £4k on the list price. I hope you are happy with the car other than that. Some people complain of a hard ride and a bit of road and wind noise, but I consider this part of the same driving experience. It certainly isn't as firm or as noisy as my MX-5, but to me it is part of the fun of driving a Mazda.
Oh yes, and welcome to the forums.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
Deleted User 1027

Post by Deleted User 1027 »

Picked my CX3 up two weeks ago with 2500 miles on the clock and the gearbox is as sweet as anything with no problems as you describe.My wife has a MX5 so I would know if it wasn't right. There would appear to be one or two problems with people complaining about stiff gear changes and a brand new demo I took out was slightly notchy from first to second. Sorry but I would take it back and ask for the service manager to accompany you on a test drive.
Deleted User 406

Post by Deleted User 406 »

Welcome to the forum.

Personally I love the gearbox.
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

Welcome to the forum taylo63. I don't know anything about Mazda manual gearboxes, but in general they can be a bit notchy when new. Unless it becomes really bad, I agree it is probably best to leave till it has done a few more miles and the next service time would be a good time to discuss further with the dealer. Feel free to load up your pictures once the sun reappears !!!
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
taylo63

Post by taylo63 »

Thanks for all your comments.Apart from the gearbox, I love it,but it is spoiling the driving experience.As i mentioned,unless it gets worse I’ll leave it until it’s first service and mention it then.
2017 (17 plate) CX3 sport nav, petrol, manual, jet black.
tyrfelin

Post by tyrfelin »

Notchy is ok - got mine checked on first service last month but it is a normal feel. You get used to it. It's a great engine and box. Enjoy!!! ☺
Sport Nav 2.0 Snowflake White