New CX-3 Gt Sport on order.

New to the CX3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Grumpydad

Post by Grumpydad »

DaveG wrote: โ†‘Mon Apr 30, 2018 5:29 pm Hi grumpydad (Mike), I enjoy detailing my cars I have questions, but I will spread them out because I am a sucker for must have products lol,
What do you recommend for the external trim, at the moment my favourite is Sonax Extreme Gel but I am always looking for products that offer the best protection that last well.
Cheers Dave
Most of these gels do a good job, but only last days or weeks in my opinion. If you want something that lasts months take a look at Gtechniq , who do a range of products for plastic, glass, wheels and paint etc. The C4 is for plastics. Clean the plastic throughly to remove any existing silicones, oils etc, then apply the c4. I use the c5 on my wheels and really happy with the results.

Mike ๐Ÿ™‚

image.jpeg

2018 CX-3 GT Sport Automatic Ceramic Metallic. Options fitted, arm rest, led interior lamps, sill plates, boot mat and front bumper trim cover.

DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Thanks grumpydad, one more question what would you degrease the plastic with 50% IPA and water or neat IPA.
I have found the problem with some gels is streaking when it rains although the Sonax product is fine in this area. Currently I use Sonax BSD after washing the car, I like the product but it is a bit grabby any recomendations for a superior product.
Thanks again.
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019
Grumpydad

Post by Grumpydad »

DaveG wrote: โ†‘Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:59 pm Thanks grumpydad, one more question what would you degrease the plastic with 50% IPA and water or neat IPA.
I have found the problem with some gels is streaking when it rains although the Sonax product is fine in this area. Currently I use Sonax BSD after washing the car, I like the product but it is a bit grabby any recomendations for a superior product.
Thanks again.
It's not often used, but when needed I use Car Pro Eraser sprayed on neat, but I'm sure any iPa product does the same job.

As for detailers,

I used this for years and buying in the bigger bottle is better value for money. http://www.meguiars.co.uk/shop/detailer/maintenance

Two years ago I started using various Adams products and my go to detailer at the moment is their Quick Detail spray, smells lovely to.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

2018 CX-3 GT Sport Automatic Ceramic Metallic. Options fitted, arm rest, led interior lamps, sill plates, boot mat and front bumper trim cover.
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Thank you for the info, I needed some shampoo, when I saw your pictures of all the Adams products you use I ordered some of theirs.
Dave :lol:
Grumpydad

Post by Grumpydad »

It's a lovely shampoo, don't need much, and glides over the paint work. I live in Verwood so quite a hard water area and this shampoo helps this issue. Saying that if I'm feeling lazy and haven't got a lot of time, I connect up my water purifier filter to the hose line, and rinse the shampoo off with an open hose and it drys naturally with no streaks.
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

Grumpydad wrote: โ†‘Mon Apr 30, 2018 9:39 pm It's a lovely shampoo, don't need much, and glides over the paint work. I live in Verwood so quite a hard water area and this shampoo helps this issue. Saying that if I'm feeling lazy and haven't got a lot of time, I connect up my water purifier filter to the hose line, and rinse the shampoo off with an open hose and it drys naturally with no streaks.
I know it's may seem sad to some talking about a car shampoo :lol: but you are right it is really good lot of suds that last, really good cheers.
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

I am very impressed at all the detailers here. I do understand the how pleased you must feel after completing the task. There is nothing better to look at than a nice shiny car that has been lovingly polished. I have however had to move on from detailing because of age and ability, so my CX-3 which is an everyday drive has got to know the local car wash, between rain days. I have to say it gives amazing results. My MX-5, on the other hand, has had a Diamond Brite coating and only needs a quick wipe over to make it shine like new. No polish, no special shampoo, just a quick wash or wipe and it's sparkling. Wish I could have been able to do that with the CX-3, but the local car wash seems to do a good job.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
Grumpydad

Post by Grumpydad »

I'm really anal about detailing, I spot the slightest imperfection in the paint and swirls marks really wind me up ๐Ÿ˜œ. My friends and family think I'm mad ๐Ÿ˜ƒ Brand new cars suffer the most from swirls in the paint as the dealers arn't usually to concerned as their standards are generally the same as the majority of the public and as long as " it looks okay and it's shiny " from a foot away most people are happy. Diamond brite is very expensive for what it is ( and makes the dealers a tidy profit ) and I'm sure your car looks lovely, but I guarantee I could make it look better with time and the right products.
I love detailing and find it very therapeutic.

Regards. Mike.
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

I agree with you grumpy dad, I also find it very therapeutic but the downside is being obsessively fussy you can annoy yourself. My family also think I am mad but they all know where to come when they have minor issues with there paint and want it polished out, or fancy a go with my jet washer and snow foam lance!!!
On my previous vehicle a DS4 the service came with a car clean I always asked them not to clean it, it was a good dealership but when they asked why not and I explained I don't want cheap chemicals used which will strip the paint protection or the same dirty sponge (sponges no no) used on the wheels as the rest of the car etc he looked at my wife who was smiling and raised his eyebrows.....only a fellow who is as anal as me about his car would understand....but I do accept that we probably do need physiological help.

Dave