Time to say hello / Avoiding turbocharging Petrol Engines

New to the CX3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Vincent66

Post by Vincent66 »

Hello !

Just joined the Mazda Cx3 forum.

Seems like a really great car.

In fact so good I sold my own (non Mazda) and now drive a Cx3 Petrol Auto belonging to SWMBO (A very kind lady)

Cars in general (non Mazda) these days seem to have just got too complicated, and hence too unreliable/expensive in the long term.

We hope the Cx3 is a long term keep.

One silly initial question: How do Mazda manage to avoid the fitting of Turbo's to their petrol cars ? (Avoiding all the complexity and long term unreliability etc. )

Of course I'll avoid mentioning Brexit here (I guess the turbo everywhere is a Euro reg ?)

I appreciate the Petrol Mazda has a high compression engine, and the next stage of development is to go even higher to the same ratio as Diesel.

Is it as simple as that to meet the regs ?

Kind regards,

Vince
2016 Cx3 2L Petrol Auto

Strangways

Post by Strangways »

Hi Vince and welcome to the forums.
It's not really related to regs. Many manufacturers have reduced the size of the engine to increase the efficiency and then boosted the performance by using turbos. Mazda decided they would use larger, normally aspirated, engines slightly de-tuned to give the same results.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
clawhn

Post by clawhn »

I have just ordered a petrol CX3 manual. I keep my cars for 6/8 years so reliability key for me. I only do 7-8000 mile a year so I avoid diesels. My previous 2 cars have been Hondas (Accord and Civic) both petrol with N/A engines and both have been ultra reliable. Honda Civics now have turbo engines so a no no for me . They are also much too big! I looked at the Honda HRV but with just a non turbo 1.5 was somewhat gutless. I like the Mazda approach to engines, range and specs on offer. The CX3 suits my needs exactly. I just hope the long term reliability matches my expectations.
2018 Mazda CX3 Sport Nav+ Petrol Manual Eternal Blue. Detachable tow bar. Blaenavon, South Wales.
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

They are such under stressed engines they will probably last for ever. My old 2 litre Mazda Premacy did over 200k and was still going strong when I sold it.
Car sold - but still following Mazda.
Vincent66

Post by Vincent66 »

Many thanks everybody.

It will be interesting to see then the longevity of the current cars, also what happens in the next phase when Mazda up the compression ratio to Diesel levels.
2016 Cx3 2L Petrol Auto