Skyactive X Engine

New to the CX3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
Nick Bucks

Post by Nick Bucks »

Hello All
New member to this forum. I was very impressed by the new CX-30 shown at the recent Geneva Motor Show. Are there any Mazda insiders on this form who know when the new Skyactive X engine will be available for motoring journalists to test ,initially I guess in the new Mazda 3 or CX-30 ? Switching from a Golf with a turbo I suspect that I will need the torque offered by this new engine to offer comparable performance and a few reviews should help me decide. Have spoken to a Mazda dealer who did not know. Thanks.

AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Welcome Nick, I too switched from a Gtd Golf to the 2.0l petrol CX-3 and to be honest don't miss it too much - you obviously don't get the rush and push in the back from the turbo but if the rev's are kept up and gear changes above 3K it's not too bad at all! 0-60 timings are within a second of each other and of course (if we're talking diesel turbo) more gear changes will be necessary!
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

Hi Nick and welcome to the forums. I never owned a Golf, but I did have a couple of Alfa 156 with a 2.4 litre five cylinder multi jet turbos. I doubt very much if the Skyactive X would give the same sort of power as that. What I have realised though, is that I actually never needed to get to 60 mph in under 9 seconds (or 7 seconds in my MX5). It was always nice to feel that punch you get when the turbo kicks in, but for me the driveability of both the CX-3 and MX-5 outweighs that extra BHP.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED