Mazda reliability and servicing, plus Skyactive X thoughts

New to the CX3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
bouc71

Post by bouc71 »

Hello forum members,

I'm looking at buying my partner a CX30 to replace her Skoda Yeti. I've looked at the Mazda 3 hatchback and instantly disliked the looks but did like the saloon version. She is more keen on the CX30 which is based on the Mazda 3 but with a different look.

So we'll be looking for a Skyactive X model, manual transmission in Sportline trim which has most things except leather (which we don't like as it gets too hot in summer) and misses out on the drivers electric memory seat - not a deal breaker. Also without the sunroof as that robs precious interior headroom. Thought the car was generally not bad - rear leg room is very limited in all Mazda 3 based models. Rear passengers get a poor deal with no USB sockets nor independent Climate control. Also wish the CX30 had a bit less plastic cladding - we'll choose a white paint colour to minimise the looks. Not interested in views on the elderly auto-transmission particularly as the Mazda manual transmission is excellent.

We are wanting to move away from the European car makes as they seem to get more and more expensive, with too many options now needed, and the reliability is becoming poorer. I looked at the Toyota range first (based on historical reliability) but their interiors seemed dated and the CVT transmission is horrible. I'm also very suspect about the longterm use of hybrid packs. Honda cars had sweet engines but they seemed so dark and plasticky inside with outside looks that are very subjective. Nissan is of course rubbish now and KIA/Hyundai okay for 5 years before they start to fall apart. So we stopped looking when we arrived at Mazda.

So I'm wondering what the owners of the newest CX3 think about their experience with their vehicle? Has it been reliable? Is the servicing reasonable?

Many/most driving reviews of the Skyactive X engine vehicles have noted that it's not that great and doesn't feel like it has the power and torque the figures would suggest unless the motor is revved quite high - not a great thing for a non-sporty type of car. The 122PS engine is too slow for us and we don't want a diesel version. Anybody with a Skyactive X engine with a manual transmission care to give me their (honest) opinion of how they rate the engine?

Any feedback much appreciated.

Mark

HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

Welcome.
This isn't a view but a fact - the auto transmission is also excellent.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

Hi Mark and welcome to the forums. However I think you maybe asking the wrong forum. They don't offer the Skyactiv-X engine in the CX-3, so you won't get many responses. I do agree with HouseSpider the auto box is excellent!
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
Deleted User 1511

Post by Deleted User 1511 »

are you after a CX3 (which is no longer made and thus only available from stock)

Or the new CX30, which runs a completely different engine?

I echo the comment that the auto is excellent - other manufacturers fit ridiculous 7 or even 9 sped boxed in a attempt to cheat the emissions.
bouc71

Post by bouc71 »

Sorry I mean't to say the Mazda 3 and had CX in my head..... Thanks for your opinions on the auto transmission but I tried it as it as the only demo car at the time and found it slow to react. I'm used to dual clutch or tiptronic transmissions....
I'm not along in disliking the auto transmission as all the online reviews and Youtube videos all say go for the manual transmission and it is an excellent manual transmission in the Mazda but if you must have an auto then go for it I'm not knocking anyone's decision.

So no points on reliability, servicing or indeed the Skyactive X engine then?
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

Reliability on my Skyactive G has been excellent. No issues to date in 65k of motoring over 2.5 years.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
steve67

Post by steve67 »

we're on our 3rd mazda ,2x mazda2 and currently a cx3 all have been very reliable, we have a cx30 on order and collect it very soon, we have gone for the g spec engine over the new x due to the extra cost and the very marginal gains, it goes just as good as the x spec but need a few more revs..

my son has the new mazda3 g spec and loves it , getting 40 ish around town, drives very well, dont be put off by the 'cladding' look around at other marques they all have it..id rather replace a peice of plastic than have a wheel arch scrape..
found this on a usa cx 30 site- hope this helps, get out and get a test drive,,,
#Dutch touring organisation ANWB did a head-to-head test of the CX-30 SkyActiv-G and -X. They travelled a set of mixed roads with the two cars at the same time. There was an interesting result. At the end of the drive, the onboard computer of the SkyActiv-X showed a better fuel economy than the G. However, when filling up at the petrol station, the X swallowed more fuel. Slightly bewildered by this result they repeated the same test, now with Mazda 3's. It had exactly the same result. Conclusion: the SPCCI engine is better in the (WLTP-)lab, but worse on the road. It's just another way of polishing up the fleet average CO2-emissions at the expense of the consumer. And Mazda burned lots of money on a rather redundant technology.
One of those annoying cyclist, who happens to also drive a CX3 SPORT NAV IN ETERNAL BLUE on the odd occasion ... The CX3 has been a pleasure to drive but it's time to move on. ...NOW DRIVING A MAZDA CX30 GT SPORT-JAN 2020
bouc71

Post by bouc71 »

Thanks to HouseSpider and Steve67 for their feedback.

So no one as had a particular gripe or issue where their vehicles.

steve67 you have changed your Mazdas quite often - do you run high mileage, lease or just like changing often? I buy new and keep for a long time 10 years or so. Newish 2nd hand used cars here are not a great bargain and when I keep a car for a long time I just want to know the whole history.

Yes I get the black cladding but still think Mazda put too much on the new CX30 (the commentators online say the same thing), but it's not a game changer. I have a Audi A4 Allroad and on it I think it looks good.

Here in France where we live, the crazy C02 madness is going into overdrive. People don't know what to buy and how long they'll be driving before getting taxed again (the environment is a great way to super tax people. So that is one of the main reasons we are going for the X rather than the G engine. We'll pay less tax on purchase and less on registering the car. The figures of tax are becoming very significant. We didn't even want to change her car but I'm concerned if we don't do something now we'll get hit with more taxes in 2 years time. They all want people to run EVs but the price, sizes available, range and long term reliability don't work unless it's a car for commutes with 1 or 2 people. The French just don't want to trade in a car that works for one that won't get them to the their relatives far away or the holiday spot or an EV that can't tow... Nobody wants to get a bill for batteries and/or a motor at 8-10 years of use... So here we are all scrabbling around trying to get by whilst the elite plan our lives with 50mph maximum speed limits out of town and taxes that are strangling modest family budgets.

So we are off to Mazda and hope we don't regret it....
steve67

Post by steve67 »

bouc71 wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:54 am Thanks to HouseSpider and Steve67 for their feedback.

So no one as had a particular gripe or issue where their vehicles.

steve67 you have changed your Mazdas quite often - do you run high mileage, lease or just like changing often? I buy new and keep for a long time 10 years or so. Newish 2nd hand used cars here are not a great bargain and when I keep a car for a long time I just want to know the whole history.

Yes I get the black cladding but still think Mazda put too much on the new CX30 (the commentators online say the same thing), but it's not a game changer. I have a Audi A4 Allroad and on it I think it looks good.

Here in France where we live, the crazy C02 madness is going into overdrive. People don't know what to buy and how long they'll be driving before getting taxed again (the environment is a great way to super tax people. So that is one of the main reasons we are going for the X rather than the G engine. We'll pay less tax on purchase and less on registering the car. The figures of tax are becoming very significant. We didn't even want to change her car but I'm concerned if we don't do something now we'll get hit with more taxes in 2 years time. They all want people to run EVs but the price, sizes available, range and long term reliability don't work unless it's a car for commutes with 1 or 2 people. The French just don't want to trade in a car that works for one that won't get them to the their relatives far away or the holiday spot or an EV that can't tow... Nobody wants to get a bill for batteries and/or a motor at 8-10 years of use... So here we are all scrabbling around trying to get by whilst the elite plan our lives with 50mph maximum speed limits out of town and taxes that are strangling modest family budgets.

So we are off to Mazda and hope we don't regret it....

Hi we swap and change as and when there is a deal available. We're on a PCP as dealers love them as do we as no money is stood on the drive. Just a monthly payment.. works for us.
One of those annoying cyclist, who happens to also drive a CX3 SPORT NAV IN ETERNAL BLUE on the odd occasion ... The CX3 has been a pleasure to drive but it's time to move on. ...NOW DRIVING A MAZDA CX30 GT SPORT-JAN 2020
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

I purchase via a personal loan & keep the car long term. Monthly payments similar to pcp, no restrictions on mileage, and at least an asset after the loan is repaid. Then all money set aside for a deposit on a new car when required. With a pcp, if you don't have an income to service it, you don't have a car.