Another CX3 convert.

New to the CX3 Forums? Introduce yourself here
TheBiker

Post by TheBiker »

I joined the ranks of CX3 owners six weeks ago and so far have enjoyed the experience. I bought a 2015 Sport Nav 2.0 petrol manual with 43,000 miles on the clock in Dynamic Blue after trading up from an Astra 1.8SRI VVT. I must say the Mazda has impressed me, it's quieter than the Astra, apart from tyre noise which is about the same, no doubt caused by the width of the tyres 215 CX3 against 245 Astra, more refined especially when you close the doors, Mazda a dull solid thud and the Astra a tinny rattling sound and the petrol consumption, the Astra would struggle to do 37mpg but so far The Mazda has not dropped below 43mpg (shows how I drive) .
Road holding was better on the Astra with it's sportier suspension and less body roll but the downside to that is that the Mazda has a far more comfortable ride. Headlights on the Mazda also better.
I am still finding my way around the 'toys' but with the help on this website I'm getting there.
I dislike the noise at start up from cold with the higher revs but understand and appreciate why Mazda do it. I'm old school I suppose as I was always told never rev a cold engine as it can cause piston/ ring wear with the oil having drained to the sump, being a little thicker so not being flung around in the engine quite as easily, and up the cylinder bores. Mind you I also run a Honda motorcycle that revs up to 2,500 rpm on start up from cold so i ought to be used to it!
Overall I really like the car and hope to for some time ahead. It's a credit to its two previous owners and a joy to drive.
The Biker, Northampton.
CX3 2.0 Sport Nav, Petrol, Dynamic Mica Blue, Manual, registered 02.08.2015.

BWJ

Post by BWJ »

Trust me, It get worse, soon you sleep in it :lol:
CX3 2.0, Aut. Nav. Optimum SRC. dec. 2019.
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Welcome Biker, I'm surprised you say the ride comfort is better than your Astra, I have a 16 reg CX-3 and I found it to be just about the same as my previous Golf GTD, the Astra SRI VVT must be particularly hard! The newer models of the CX-3 are better damped and much quieter I understand.
As for the startup noise, many new members have raised their concerns but it's totally normal (unless it sound like a bag of spanners of course!)

Good luck finding your way round the CX-3 'toys', the first thing you need to know is what exactly has your car got - a look in the (huge!) owner manual (online here - https://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/ ... dex03.html) says "Available on some models" to most things :lol:

There's a wealth of info here and some very knowledgeable members, so any questions just ask ;)
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
Joval

Post by Joval »

Hi, You mention old school and the high rev's at start up. I am from the old school of drivers too with too many years to remember, but the oils are far better now than they used to be. Fully synthetic oil has better lube qualities than the old 20/50 we used for years. I can remember when if you got fifty thousand miles out of a Ford or Vauxhall you had done well. I was in a Yorkshire town when I saw an AC Cobra just starting up in a car park the engine was on high rev's, the guy told me " I cannot go yet till the automatic choke cuts off as it's an automatic box and it will just shoot off" So I don't think it will hurt our the Mazda CX3's
John.
CX3 sel-nav. 2.0 ltr. Petrol, manual. Soul red.