Chips with everything

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
SoonerV8

Post by SoonerV8 »

I wonder if anyone has had their 3 re-chipped and was it to any benefit.
Petrol Sport Nav AWD 2018 UK Midlands.

Strangways

Post by Strangways »

House Spider has, but only 11BHP. I think BBR do a kit for 20+ BHP.
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=1203&hilit=chipped#p8179
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

Yes, approx 10% more bhp & torque. Seems more refined, smoother, and pulls a little better. I'm going to have to test drive a bog standard version again to see what it's like.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

BBR do a chip upgrade for the 120bhp 2.0 petrol model which apparently increases it by 33bhp and 10lb.ft. It costs £495+VAT. This is either at their Brackley premises or they can supply the chip and a programming kit for an owner DIY job

http://www.bbrgti.com/product/bbr-mazda ... hip-remap/
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

I've found the torque increase the more important. I don't over-rev the engine normally staying below 3000 rpm. 100% of the torque is available at 2800 rpm.
Mine cost £249 & very happy with it.
I got it done at Hendy Performance in Southampton, just behind Hendy Mazda.
Sports Nav Auto Petrol 2017, 131bhp (chipped), Soul Red, Half Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Arm Rest, Auto Folding Mirror Kit, Detachable Tow Bar, HatchBag Boot Liner, Stebel Nautilus Compact horn. Space saver.
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

HouseSpider wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:24 pm I've found the torque increase the more important. I don't over-rev the engine normally staying below 3000 rpm. 100% of the torque is available at 2800 rpm.
Mine cost £249 & very happy with it.
I got it done at Hendy Performance in Southampton, just behind Hendy Mazda.
Interested in having mine chipped, how did it effect the insurance premium.?
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019
Deleted User 1027

Post by Deleted User 1027 »

Besides the insurance question DOES this upgrade invalidate the warranty.
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

Don't know, my premium went up from someone driving in to my nearside rear door on a roundabout (last July) - they were in the wrong lane and decided to change lanes as they entered the roundabout. My insurance company only settled when the other party put a whiplash claim in (and marked it down as my fault). This despite having dashcam footage to prove otherwise and showing a relative speed of 2-3mph between the two vehicles.
Mazda First are supposed to be looking at fighting the decision but I haven't heard from them in a few months.
If I'd had the car chipped by then I'd probably have accelerated a bit faster and not been hit.
HouseSpider

Post by HouseSpider »

The engine is the same across the range and for other models but with different stages of tune. It would be good for Mazda to give you the opportunity to remap to another models state of tune.

Evo Chips web site FAQs has the following on it:

"Your car dealer cannot determine a software modification with his equipment, since our Evolution chips are designed to be transparent to all engine diagnostic equipment. However, the reality is, a well trained technician should be able to tell that certain parameters are above standard during a test drive".

This all muddles the issue of the warranty but I would suggest this would only affect the warranty on the engine and failure of such, without abuse by the owner, would more likely be down to manufacturing or design issues.
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

MJC1216 wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 8:54 am Besides the insurance question DOES this upgrade invalidate the warranty.
In theory it would invalidate the warranty, but I'm sure that dealers would use there discretion if it wasn't some sort of engine or drive failure.
With regard to insurance it is essential that any modification is registered with your provider or you would be driving illegally without insurance. A small increase in BHP is probably acceptable, but I know some companies will not insure vehicles that have been increased by 20BHP or more.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED