Gearbox a little clunky

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
TCVBLADE

Post by TCVBLADE »

Hello,

Was just wondering has anyone noticed that the gearbox feels a little clunky, its not a smooth movement between gear moves, in particularly the 3rd and 4th gears, it just feels a little jerky, especially jumping from 5th-3rd and 6th- 4th. Not sure if its just me, or is it normal?
CX-3, Sport Nav, 2.0l, Petrol, 66 plate.

Strangways

Post by Strangways »

Mazda did design their gearboxes that way so that you get the feedback. Part of the Jinba ittai (horse and rider as one) design philosophy.
However if you feel it is excessive it might be best to get a dealer check it out for you.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
TCVBLADE

Post by TCVBLADE »

That's interesting, it was something I've only recently noticed from trying to get into 6th gear more to try and improve the MPG. So its not just me then, phew! So the glide into different gears is supposed to be a little jolty? Does anyone have any preferred tips? I find almost dropping it into neutral then into the desire gear slot helps rather than rushing it direct in to the required gear slot, if that makes sense.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

TCVBLADE wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 8:15 am Hello,

Was just wondering has anyone noticed that the gearbox feels a little clunky, its not a smooth movement between gear moves, in particularly the 3rd and 4th gears, it just feels a little jerky, especially jumping from 5th-3rd and 6th- 4th. Not sure if its just me, or is it normal?
Are you double declutching when block changing?
The synchromesh may be struggling to spin up the other gears if you are not sequential
TCVBLADE

Post by TCVBLADE »

Greenman wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:40 am

The synchromesh may be struggling to spin up the other gears if you are not sequential
Double declutching? Does that mean hesitating putting your foot down on the clutch? As you can tell from my posts, I'm a bit of novice and have to say things in laymans terms.

Cheers
Mazdaman72

Post by Mazdaman72 »

One of he smoothest gearboxs i have ever used.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

TCVBLADE wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:43 am
Greenman wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 10:40 am

Double declutching? Does that mean hesitating putting your foot down on the clutch? As you can tell from my posts, I'm a bit of novice and have to say things in laymans terms.

Cheers
Double declutching is used primarily for vehicles with an unsynchronized manual transmission, such as commercial trucks and specialty vehicles. While double clutching is not necessary in a vehicle that has a synchronized manual transmission, the technique can be advantageous for smoothly downshifting in order to accelerate, and when done correctly it prevents wear on the "synchros" which normally equalize transmission input and output speeds to allow downshifting.

With this method, instead of pushing the clutch in once and shifting directly to another gear, the driver first engages the transmission in neutral before shifting to the next gear. The clutch is pressed and released with each change:

- dip clutch
- put gearbox in neutral
- raise clutch
- blip throttle to raise engine revs to speed required to match next gear
- dip clutch
- engage next gear
- raise clutch and engage gear

A related downshifting technique is heel-and-toe shifting, in which the brake and accelerator pedals are pressed simultaneously; these two techniques can be combined, e.g. using one's "toe" to brake to slow the car while entering a corner, while using one's heel to press the throttle pedal for the double clutch technique. In this manner, one may downshift and brake at the same time, and be ready to accelerate again once the corner is completed.
Turbo

Post by Turbo »

Ours is silky smooth very positive, done 5500k
2019 CX-3, 2.0 Sport Nav+, Soul Red, Stone Leather, Safety Pack, Petrol, Manual.
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

Turbo wrote: Mon May 20, 2019 5:26 pm done 5500k
WOW! 5,500,000 miles! No wonder it's smooth!

(or is that 5,500 Km?) :o :D :D ;)
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
Mazdaman72

Post by Mazdaman72 »

Change gear quicker i go fifth to 3rd 4th to 6th, you can be in sixth at 40mph no problem.