premium v regular unleaded

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

GeeJam wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:35 pm Sorry folks, if we (foolishly) fill up with Morrisons petrol, our CX-3 definitely struggles with torque (especially when ascending an incline in 5th or 6th without us changing down a notch) and the acceleration, the engine grunt & the smoothness is, well, noticeably poor (basically).

Conversely, if we invest in Shell V Power or BP Ultimate, our CX-3 goes like a rocket!
Don't know about Morrisons petrol, but my CX-3 performs no differently whether I use Shell V Power, BP Ultimate or Premium Esso. Sometimes our minds can play funny tricks.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED

bloodline

Post by bloodline »

GeeJam wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 7:35 pm Sorry folks, if we (foolishly) fill up with Morrisons petrol, our CX-3 definitely struggles with torque (especially when ascending an incline in 5th or 6th without us changing down a notch) and the acceleration, the engine grunt & the smoothness is, well, noticeably poor (basically).

Conversely, if we invest in Shell V Power or BP Ultimate, our CX-3 goes like a rocket!
I appreciate the anecdotal evidence here, are you able to get your car on a dyno, so we can get some real numbers?
CX-3 Sport Nav Petrol Manual 120ps FWD Dynamic Blue, London England ;)
GeeJam

Post by GeeJam »

'Morning Bloodline and Strangeways, appreciate your replies.

Whilst each one of us can understand the controversy surrounding standard petrol versus premium petrol - especially when Mazda's Skyactive EMS performs so intelligently and efficiently - please just try this once to galvanise your opinion . . . .

At home, pour a 4.53L 'ready-can' of cheap supermarket petrol into your CX-3's nearly empty tank. Using a route consisting of variety of road conditions, drive 30 miles to a Shell garage and treat the car to £20 of V-Power* (which is cheaper than booking your car in for a rolling road assessment). Enjoy the drive home.

*Or Texaco Supreme (which we mostly run on) or BP Ultimate as 3rd choice.

For me, a good analogy is if you cocoon yourself inside your CX-3 and allow the Bose system to blast your favourite track back-to-back - firstly recorded as an MP3 file, then playing it again - but saved as a WAV file. There really is a appreciative difference in sound (quality) but to the detriment of memory file size (cost).

PS Never owned a diesel - so have no experience of their premium grade alternatives.
CX-3 Sport Nav 2.0L Petrol. Manual. Soul Red & Half Stone interior. From new Sept 2015. South Lincolnshire UK.
bloodline

Post by bloodline »

GeeJam wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:23 am 'Morning Bloodline and Strangeways, appreciate your replies.

Whilst each one of us can understand the controversy surrounding standard petrol versus premium petrol - especially when Mazda's Skyactive EMS performs so intelligently and efficiently - please just try this once to galvanise your opinion . . . .

At home, pour a 4.53L 'ready-can' of cheap supermarket petrol into your CX-3's nearly empty tank. Using a route consisting of variety of road conditions, drive 30 miles to a Shell garage and treat the car to £20 of V-Power* (which is cheaper than booking your car in for a rolling road assessment). Enjoy the drive home.

I tried this with my mk4 MX-5 Sports Nav (which AFAIK used the same engine), the higher RON grade fuel did not offer either an improvement in performance or fuel efficiency. I am however willing to entertain the idea that the detuned CX-3 engine might behave differently, I no longer have free access to a dyno, so I am unable to perform the test on my CX-3.
For me, a good analogy is if you cocoon yourself inside your CX-3 and allow the Bose system to blast your favourite track back-to-back - firstly recorded as an MP3 file, then playing it again - but saved as a WAV file. There really is a appreciative difference in sound (quality) but to the detriment of memory file size (cost).
At the highest bitrate encoded MP3 it would be difficult to hear a difference between the MP3 and the WAV with the Bose system in the CX-3.
In my studio, using my Adam A77X near field monitors, I can make out the slight distortion in the top end on an MP3, but nothing discernible using a normal consumer grade audio system
PS Never owned a diesel - so have no experience of their premium grade alternatives.
I think different diesel grades are just related to the the amount of sulphur (and other contaminants), nothing to do with performance. It is actually quite a crude oil, though more refined than Jet-A1!
CX-3 Sport Nav Petrol Manual 120ps FWD Dynamic Blue, London England ;)
Deleted User 406

Post by Deleted User 406 »

I tend to use AAC at 512kbps for the car. I normally rip for home & studio use to FLAC or if mp3 at 320kbps.
I do on occasion stream FLAC from my phone to the car over Bluetooth. Shame the car's system is so fussy about Ogg Vorbis files.
Peter55

Post by Peter55 »

rockposer wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:12 pm I tend to use AAC at 512kbps for the car. I normally rip for home & studio use to FLAC or if mp3 at 320kbps.
I do on occasion stream FLAC from my phone to the car over Bluetooth. Shame the car's system is so fussy about Ogg Vorbis files.
I wish I could fit an 8 Track in mine
Sport Nav Petrol Auto Dynamic Blue
Armrest
Front Sensors
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Can we bring this thread back on topic please :|
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

bloodline wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:16 pm
GeeJam wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:23 am 'Morning Bloodline and Strangeways, appreciate your replies.

I tried this with my mk4 MX-5 Sports Nav (which AFAIK used the same engine), the higher RON grade fuel did not offer either an improvement in performance or fuel efficiency. I am however willing to entertain the idea that the detuned CX-3 engine might behave differently, I no longer have free access to a dyno, so I am unable to perform the test on my CX-3.
At the highest bitrate encoded MP3 it would be difficult to hear a difference between the MP3 and the WAV with the Bose system in the CX-3.
In my studio, using my Adam A77X near field monitors, I can make out the slight distortion in the top end on an MP3, but nothing discernible using a normal consumer grade audio system
I think different diesel grades are just related to the the amount of sulphur (and other contaminants), nothing to do with performance. It is actually quite a crude oil, though more refined than Jet-A1!
The fire brigade have a spectrum analysis of different diesel fuel grades so that they can identify if accelerants have been used in the cause of fires. They can break down diesel and additives to each manufacturer and if they want to be picky, each batch of each manufacturer. Don't try to suggest that there is no difference in the additive package of between supermarket and branded fuel because there is. The supermarkets are not anybody's friend, their fuel is cheaper because they pay less and want to maximise profits. Whether it makes any long term difference on a petrol, I don't know but on a diesel, I have worked on many engines that have been run on supermarket and branded/super diesels and the difference it makes to the insides of EGRs and particulate filters is remarkable. There are some benefits in mpg with these higher grade fuels but I doubt that they pay for the extra initial cost. For me, the difference of what happens inside a diesel engine more than justifies the cost - particularly if the owner is keeping the vehicle beyond the usual PCP period of three years.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD
Gus

Post by Gus »

jtonline wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:08 pm Can we bring this thread back on topic please :|
Why? I was enjoying reading about dead orbiss or ogg horses whatever they said :lol:
CX-3, Sport Nav, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Metallic, Half Stone Leather, Sep 2015 to Sep 2018.
CX-5, Sport Nav+, Auto, Petrol, Soul Red Crystal Metallic, Sep 2018.
TINO

Post by TINO »

I am sure when I run on super, shell, esso. and push the sport button there seems to be a difference. Sound without music is great, mpg don't think any difference, Smile on face says it all. Don't care super for me.
The middle of the road is a dangerous place, you have to take sides. :)