Noise!

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

After a year with the CX-3 my main dislike is that a quiet engine and transmission are often drowned out by excessive tyre noise on our third world road surfaces, even with 16 inch wheels. This spoils my enjoyment of what is otherwise a refined car.

I am an avid follower of the Honest John website, where HJ recommends Michelin Cross Climate for a quieter and more comfortable ride. Has anyone fitted these tyres to a CX-3, and if so do they make an appreciable difference as HJ claims?
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.

Deleted User 406

Post by Deleted User 406 »

Can't say I've really noticed the issue. Then again my music is normally turned up
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

rockposer wrote: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:54 pm Can't say I've really noticed the issue. Then again my music is normally turned up
Unfortunately Zoylander doesn't have a Bose system with a massive sub-woofer hidden in the boot. Although our 18 inch tyres should, in theory, be noisier than Zoylanders 16 inch, we do have the means of counteracting it. :D

On a more serious note, the Michelin Cross Climate have had a good review and are rated at 69db, which is a low noise level. I don't know what tyres Zoylander has at present, but as a guide, a 3db drop in noise level is around half the perceived noise. So if the existing tyres are are rated at 72db the noise level will reduce by half. However the noise ratings are given under certain test conditions and my guess is that these noise figures will vary dramatically depending on the road surface. So my advice would be to buy a Sat Nav with a Bose sound system. ;)
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
tyrfelin

Post by tyrfelin »

I thought our cx3 sport nav 2.0 mt was "road" noisy but to be honest my friend's merc 220 was equally noisy on a run to Bristol and back this weekend (from Aberdare Wales). Agreed Bose sound is fantastic! And cx3 petrol engine is pretty damn quiet!!! Zoom-Zoom 😁 lol
Sport Nav 2.0 Snowflake White
Deleted User 155

Post by Deleted User 155 »

I'm pretty sure the 'new' 2017 UK spec CX-3 has extra noise dampening... amongst other things.
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

Thank you Strangways. The tyres fitted are Bridgestone Turanza 16".
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

zoylander wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:48 am Thank you Strangways. The tyres fitted are Bridgestone Turanza 16".
I think the Bridgestone Turanza has a noise level of 71db, so on paper at least, the Michelin are quieter.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

Reviews now confirm that the updated CX-3 has extra sound deadening, but it has come too late for me. When new tyres are needed I will fit Michelin Cross Climate as recommended by Honest John. If these do not reduce the relentless road noise the car will have to go, and it is most unlikely that I will buy another Mazda.
Greenman

Post by Greenman »

Wouldn't it be cheaper to add your own sound deadening - any car hifi outlet can add dynomat or some such
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

Worth considering, provided that the work does not invalidate the warranty.