Owners opinions?

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

While I am awaiting my auto petrol to arrive I would be really interested from owners about this set up. I went for auto because I just can't be bothered changing gear anymore. My previous car was only available in auto so have got used to it.
I would be particularly interested in
Road noise,
Pulling power uphill
General fuel economy

There is only so much you can pick up on a test drive and motor mag reviews don't really reflect true life experiences.

Thanks.
Car sold - but still following Mazda.

Peter55

Post by Peter55 »

Had mine 18 months and done 16,000

Getting about 42 mpg, never driven hard or in Sport Mode ( holds the gears far too long)

Very happy with the performance, enough overtaking power do not to be embarrassing.

As everyone else will confirm the std 18” tyres generate far too much noise, but you’ll learn to live with it and I’ve never found the ride too firm ( but my last car was an Audi!)
Sport Nav Petrol Auto Dynamic Blue
Armrest
Front Sensors
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

Had mine 15 months and done almost 7000 miles. Averaging 43.5mpg in everyday motoring.
Ample performance without ever using Sport Mode. The kick-down is excellent for rapid overtaking and normal gear changes are so smooth as to be almost undetectable.

Now the bad news. Even the 16" tyres generate far too much noise, and I do not see why I should to learn to live with it on a £20,000 car. This and the firm ride spoils the otherwise rewarding driving experience. When the time comes to fit new tyres I am hoping that a change to Michelin Cross Climate will improve matters. If it does not, it will be goodbye CX-3.
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

Isn't it odd how people perceive cars differently. I don't have an auto yet because I still enjoy driving my cars. I'm starting to age a bit now (70 next year) so maybe I will look at one in the future. I have heard the CX3 has a very nice auto box, but I don't know what that means. From what has been said on this forum there appears to be little or no difference between auto or manual on the fuel consumption. I return 43mpg on my daily commute, but have returned 52 a few times on a 40+ mile A road trip. As far as noise is concerned it is very variable depending on the road surface, but compared with my Alfa 2.4 JTD it is executive luxury (although the Alfa seat were a lot more sumptuous). And of course compared with the top down motoring of my MX5 it is silent. As far as pulling power is concerned it could do with a few more HP. It is the same engine as my MX5 but has been derated by 40HP, which is a real shame. For those who have owned other small SUVs before I'm sure the larger engine feels powerful, but after the Alfa and MX5 it feels very lack lustre. So what I'm saying is that the performance may feel very good if you are moving up from a smaller engine, but poor if you are used to engines with higher BHP.
I'm not sure if that helps, but it is down to you to compare with previous vehicles, we can only offer our own experience. One thing I will say is that the firm ride gives the CX3 a really good fun driving experience. I love it.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
slideboy

Post by slideboy »

Had mine for 16 months and done around 10,000. I must say I am delighted with it haven't needed the sports mode and average around 42mpg. Regarding road noise I haven't found it any more than my Mercedes C class. The performance I have never found lacking and the changes, I have found very smooth.
I regularly visit north wales and it take all the hills in its stride.
Hoping you will find my experiences helpful and hope you enjoy your new car as much as I enjoy mine.
CX-3 SportsNav auto meteor Grey PS120
Gordongilchrist

Post by Gordongilchrist »

Handy Andy wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:16 pm While I am awaiting my auto petrol to arrive I would be really interested from owners about this set up. I went for auto because I just can't be bothered changing gear anymore. My previous car was only available in auto so have got used to it.
I would be particularly interested in
Road noise,
Pulling power uphill
General fuel economy

There is only so much you can pick up on a test drive and motor mag reviews don't really reflect true life experiences.

Thanks.
Lol that just summed up why I went for the automatic. Had a test car for 24hrs n it was a manual. After already having an auto that was enough to seal the deal. I hated farting around with all the gears. Forgot what a chore it was. Anyway the petrol auto is fine. Not going to win any races but not a let down either. Plenty of threads on here n elsewhere show economy is good, but depends on driving style. Thrash it n if expect high 30mpg. Drive with economy in mind n high 40mpg easy enough. I've seen 65mpg on my gauge. 45mpg is the measured average.

Yes there is a bit of road noise but it's acceptable in my opinion. Road surface is big factor. What I don't like is on a tight corner with ruts r rough surface unsettles the car a lot I think it is to to with the beam rear suspension rather than fully independent suspension. I'm not used to that behaviour. The Mazda 3 dosent have it.
2017 Mazda CX-3 sport nav 2WD Automatic 120 petrol in white :)
Philmac

Post by Philmac »

Had mine for 13 months now, averaging 45mpg. Rarely use sports mode, ocassionaly when I have to get past someone who is dithering.
Apart from the 2 condensers (3 if you include the original one) and a new evaporator together with the car being in the garage for 3 of the 13 months, it has been enjoyable to drive. The only only difference between my last car a Nissan Juke, is the seats, the Juke seat huged you in and was very comfortable on a long run. You tend to body shift in the CX3 as you corner. I am not a big guy 5'9" 12 stone but it's very noticable. Although in comparison the intorior and exterior styling is far superior and of higher quality. Havent really noticed road or cabin noise. Overall I am very pleased with the car.
CX3 Sports Nav Auto Mica Jet Black 2 ltr Petrol September 2016
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

The main consideration for buying the CX-3 was because it was one of very few 2WD petrol crossovers available with a proper torque converter automatic transmission, not a dodgy automated manual waiting to go expensively wrong just after the warranty expires.

As for enjoying my driving, I am a 70 year old classic car enthusiast with previous experience of crash gearboxes (1927 Packard), pre-selectors (1952 Daimler) and freewheels (1955 Rover), but for everyday transport I would no more drive a manual than a car with drum brakes. The mechanical crudity of the manual gearbox and friction clutch should be consigned to motoring history along with carburettors and contact points.
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.
Peter55

Post by Peter55 »

zoylander wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:19 pm The main consideration for buying the CX-3 was because it was one of very few 2WD petrol crossovers available with a proper torque converter automatic transmission, not a dodgy automated manual waiting to go expensively wrong just after the warranty expires.

As for enjoying my driving, I am a 70 year old classic car enthusiast with previous experience of crash gearboxes (1927 Packard), pre-selectors (1952 Daimler) and freewheels (1955 Rover), but for everyday transport I would no more drive a manual than a car with drum brakes. The mechanical crudity of the manual gearbox and friction clutch should be consigned to motoring history along with carburettors and contact points.
Hear Hear
Sport Nav Petrol Auto Dynamic Blue
Armrest
Front Sensors
anchorman

Post by anchorman »

I agree that the gearbox is a gem but the manual box and the weighting of the clutch is top notch too.
CX-5 Sportnav diesel auto. AWD