Is the Front Centre Armrest worth buying?

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

Hi, I can see that it gets in the way of the cupholders, which I can live with, but what about the central controller and handbrake? Does it cause any irritating issues? .....oh - and how easy is it to fit?

Thanks all.
Andy
Car sold - but still following Mazda.

Boyle de Cabbage

Post by Boyle de Cabbage »

To my mind it is a waste of time and money. The handbrake becomes awkward to operate. And in all honesty hands should be on the steering wheel and arms free to make a fast manoeuvre. However some like to drive as if sitting in a club chair so my view will if course be protested.

I have one but it is always raised out the way.
Mazda paint is crap! Mazda should be ashamed of themselves!.
Deleted User 406

Post by Deleted User 406 »

Personally so glad I got it fitted.

I don't have any issues with the handbrake or jog wheel etc. Not fussed about it covering the cup holders as I never use them. The additional storage is useful.

btw both my hands are on the steering wheel and not always resting on the armrest.
Peter55

Post by Peter55 »

I think it’s crazy that a centre armrest is not a standard fit, but it’s obvious on the CX3 why it isn’t as Mazda seem to have forgotten about it

I negotiated one in the deal, as I feel it’s a must have, never used a cup holder in car or ever seen the need for any
Sport Nav Petrol Auto Dynamic Blue
Armrest
Front Sensors
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

Just one of several things that whoever designed the interior forgot about, such as :
A parcel shelf.
The fresh air vents which are mounted too low. I want the air on my face, not my hands.
The heater controls which are again too low and out of the driver's sight.
......and as for that jog wheel or whatever they call it!
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.
st3v3cx-3

Post by st3v3cx-3 »

I've not got an armrest on mine. Never used the cup holders either.

One thing that does bug me is the location of the handbrake compared to the Commander and Volume switches. I'd much rather they were swapped over so the handbrake is closer to the driver and the switches over to the left of it - according to the Owners Manual, the layout on a RHD car is currently as on a LHD one! I find the Commander switch is so easily hit during a journey if I'm wearing a jacket with pockets full, whereas the handbrake in the off position even over to the right would not be affected at all.

I use the handbrake far far less than the Volume or Commander switches and in the revised position I’ve suggested these two switches would be far easier to reach and use. On the same basis the two cup holders would be easier to reach for the driver anyway. If an arm rest is fitted, it could remain in its current right of centre position and make the use of the cup holders and switches much easier.
Sport Nav Petrol Automatic FWD Arctic White plus options April 2016
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

I totally agree. Logic would suggest that a RHD car should have the handbrake and switches swapped over, but logic was the last thing on the mind of whoever designed the CX-3 interior. It is a triumph of style over practicality. We all know that the CX-3 is not a roomy car, but better use could have been made of the space available.

It's not all bad news though. At least there is a proper handbrake, not one of those silly push button things.
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.
alanandlyn

Post by alanandlyn »

Interesting discussion - I don't have an armrest and I'm perfectly happy living without it. I've never had an issue with the commander controls and the handbrake position either; so we're all different. One point, the Japanese sit on the same side of the car as us, so if we assume their design point is the home market then it's the LHD vehicles that would have their switch gear altered not us.
CX-3 SportNav 2WD, Petrol Auto, Ceramic, Stone Leather :)
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

I don't mind which side of the car it's on, but I do wish they would keep the policy throughout the range. My MX5 is on the other side to the CX3. :x
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
ptirving

Post by ptirving »

Armrest is essential. No probs with handbrake or controllers. Stick the water bottle in the doorbin
Was GT Sport 2.0 Petrol Auto Meteor Grey 39mpg round the doors 46mpg on a run
Now 2019 Mazda 3 2.0 petrol auto Meteor Grey