Spare wheel options

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
steve iow

Post by steve iow »

thanks Jt ,yes my dealer supplied all the kit so should be ok,but will be looking to buy a full size wheel later on if I keep it long term.
steve iow

Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

I am glad the 18" fits with the foam surrounds that came with the space saver. I have just bought a full size spare, so the space saver will now become a space user ( in the garage) once I get the new tyre fitted to the 18"
Car sold - but still following Mazda.
Brum1955

Post by Brum1955 »

jtonline wrote: Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:51 pm
Brum1955 wrote: Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:56 pm I read the article on fitting a full size (18in) wheel with interest. Do the styrene inserts serve any useful purpose? it seems to me that omitting them frees up the space around the wheel for more storage and also saves £59.24 in parts.
Most people these days are covered by breakdown insurance so they would jack up the car and change the wheel for you, omitting the jack and associated parts saves a further £78.04. Just fitting an 18in alloy wheel complete with Toyo tyre and insulator can be done for £248.84, considreably cheaper than the space saver kit.

Yes I suppose you could omit the inserts as the wheel is held in place by a bolt (providing you extend it's length). I would make sure you keep at least one of the towing eye hooks in the boot somewhere though. IMHO if you're going to fit a wheel you may as well pay a bit extra and get a jack and associated parts so you always have the option of doing the wheel swap yourself.
I accept your comment re omitting the jack but at 79 I consider jacking a car up and changing a wheel a bridge too far!
Just taken delivery of CX3 Sport Nav 2000 petrol manual in Eternal Blue Mica. This replaces my 21 year old Xedos Sport 2 litre V6.
Grumpydad

Post by Grumpydad »

jtonline wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:18 pm Yep, the space saver wheel is 16" diameter and the recommended tyre size is T125/90D16 98M.
When fitted, you should only drive at max. 50mph for the shortest distance possible. Mazda recommend that you do not fit to the front axle.

N.B: If you buy the wheel & tyre from an ebay seller, unless you're buying the complete kit, you'll also need the two replacement polystyrene pieces, jack & bolt, & wheel nut wrench.
I was under the impression the 16" spacer saver and tyre was only if you had 16" wheels as standard, and then advised to go no more than 50mph. Are you saying it can also be used if you have the 18" wheels? If the answer is yes and then you have a flat on the front, you have to swap a rear to the front and then put the space saver on the back?
2018 CX-3 GT Sport Automatic Ceramic Metallic. Options fitted, arm rest, led interior lamps, sill plates, boot mat and front bumper trim cover.
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

Grumpydad wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:01 pm
jtonline wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:18 pm Yep, the space saver wheel is 16" diameter and the recommended tyre size is T125/90D16 98M.
When fitted, you should only drive at max. 50mph for the shortest distance possible. Mazda recommend that you do not fit to the front axle.

N.B: If you buy the wheel & tyre from an ebay seller, unless you're buying the complete kit, you'll also need the two replacement polystyrene pieces, jack & bolt, & wheel nut wrench.
I was under the impression the 16" spacer saver and tyre was only if you had 16" wheels as standard, and then advised to go no more than 50mph. Are you saying it can also be used if you have the 18" wheels? If the answer is yes and then you have a flat on the front, you have to swap a rear to the front and then put the space saver on the back?
The depth of the tyre on a 16" wheel is larger than that on an 18" wheel which makes them both a similar outside diameter.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Grumpydad wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:01 pm

I was under the impression the 16" spacer saver and tyre was only if you had 16" wheels as standard, and then advised to go no more than 50mph. Are you saying it can also be used if you have the 18" wheels?

Yes, for short journey in an emergency.
Grumpydad wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:01 pm If the answer is yes and then you have a flat on the front, you have to swap a rear to the front and then put the space saver on the back?

Yes, that's correct.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

I think I would just use the can of sealant that came with the car or call out their breakdown cover. I just like the easy options.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

Fair enough. Breakdown recovery maybe. The sealant stuff is a bit of a faff because you've got to remove the valve stem from the tyre, then inject the sealant, then put the valve stem back in again etc., etc., and it'll only ever seal a small hole in the tread portion of the tyre.
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
AndyRen
Location: Down a bit, down a bit more, right a bit, down a bit.... Right there - Kent

Post by AndyRen »

I've bought a can of (ordinary?) Tyre foam so no valve removal if I get a flat - but I'd sooner have a proper spare wheel.
16 plate 2L Petrol, 120bhp Soul Red Sport Nav...
Deleted User 1027

Post by Deleted User 1027 »

AndyRen wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 6:33 pm I've bought a can of (ordinary?) Tyre foam so no valve removal if I get a flat - but I'd sooner have a proper spare wheel.
Which one can you recommend as i have used Holts before ???