Car cleaning

All Mazda CX-3 related discussions
DaveG

Post by DaveG »

I notice the forum does not have a dedicated car cleaning section, being one of those sad people that are obsessive about cleaning their car I am interested in what if anything owners clean the semi matt door pillars with ie polish sealants etc.
CX3 Sport Nav - Petrol - Auto - safety pack - snowflake white - 2019

Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

As far as anything semi matt it has always been just water and a leather off. For the rest of the car it is a wash with autogym shampoo using a Meguiars lambwool mitt using the two bucket method and a leather off. For more intense cleaning when the interest takes me it is a polish with Meguiars Ultimate Polish followed by their Ultimate Liquid Wax. This is after the black plastic parts have been masked off to prevent the dreaded white marks. They get a treatment of Back to Black. Wheels of course is a different subject, they come off periodically so i can wax both the insides and outsides. i find this really makes keeping them clean a doddle. It's a bit of a faff but worth it. For the glass (can't remember the name of what I use at the moment) I always clean off the outside with vertically and the inside horizontally, that way if there are any smears I easily know what side of the glass it is.
Car sold - but still following Mazda.
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

My car had Safegard paint sealant and protector applied by the supplying dealer before I took delivery. Will polish remove this coating?
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.
jtonline

Post by jtonline »

DaveG wrote: ↑Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:22 pm...I am interested in what if anything owners clean the semi matt door pillars with ie polish sealants etc.

I just use car shampoo in warm water on the door pillars and when waxing I do my best to avoid getting any wax on the black bits.
zoylander wrote: ↑Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:03 pm My car had Safegard paint sealant and protector applied by the supplying dealer before I took delivery. Will polish remove this coating?

I wouldn't have thought so, but it'll depend on how abrasive the polish formulation is, how it's applied and how frequently. Note that the Safegard manufacturers say on their website, "there will be no need to polish your vehicle for three years".
Julian.
Sept. 2015 CX-3 Sport Nav, Dynamic Blue Mica, 1.5 Diesel, AWD, Automatic
http://www.jtonline.info
Please add year of registration, model info., and location to your CX-3 Forums profile ~ See here for help: http://bit.ly/2fQzMfd
1Monty

Post by 1Monty »

It'll be up to our usual Polish boys up the road. Β£6 for jet wash, soapy hand wash, rinse and leather off.

Job done πŸ‘
SINCE FEB 2018 I NO LONGER OWN VEHICLE
CX-3 Sport Nav - 2.0L Petrol - 2017 - Manual - 2WD - Eternal Blue Metallic - Half Leather - 44.3mpg on a good day down hill with a strong wind behind 😎
Deleted User 406

Post by Deleted User 406 »

I use a mixture of Meguiars and Autoglym to keep it clean. Plus the occasional claybar and detail.
Handy Andy

Post by Handy Andy »

rockposer wrote: ↑Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:17 am I use a mixture of Meguiars and Autoglym to keep it clean. Plus the occasional claybar and detail.
Hi, have you tried a clay-mitt. I used one on my previous car and found it just as good as a bar plus a lot less effort.
Car sold - but still following Mazda.
Strangways

Post by Strangways »

zoylander wrote: ↑Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:03 pm My car had Safegard paint sealant and protector applied by the supplying dealer before I took delivery. Will polish remove this coating?
If Safeguard is anything like the Diamonbrite I have on my MX5 polishing is completely unnecessary. Just wash and dry and it sparkles like new. The coating is so hard that polish will not affect it. The only downside is if you scratch the car and need a respray. The whole panel would need the coating removed before spraying and then re treated.
2019 CX-3 2.0 Sport Nav+ Automatic in ETERNAL BLUE
2015 MX-5 2.0 Sport Nav Manual in SOUL RED
Deleted User 406

Post by Deleted User 406 »

Handy Andy wrote: ↑Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:45 am
rockposer wrote: ↑Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:17 am I use a mixture of Meguiars and Autoglym to keep it clean. Plus the occasional claybar and detail.
Hi, have you tried a clay-mitt. I used one on my previous car and found it just as good as a bar plus a lot less effort.
No I haven't, will have a look cheers.
zoylander

Post by zoylander »

Strangways wrote: ↑Fri Nov 17, 2017 10:41 am
If Safeguard is anything like the Diamonbrite I have on my MX5 polishing is completely unnecessary. Just wash and dry and it sparkles like new. The coating is so hard that polish will not affect it. The only downside is if you scratch the car and need a respray. The whole panel would need the coating removed before spraying and then re treated.
Thank you. As my cars are always garaged I hope that polishing will not be necessary, but it is as well to know.
The Safegard certainly throws rainwater off, and as you say, a wash brings the paintwork back to new condition.
CX-3 SE 2.0L 2WD Auto. 43.5mpg.